Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to get a truck running

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foolhardy, Nov 13, 2005.

1. foolhardy

foolhardy Registered Member

i have a truck that has been setting for 10 years it ran when i parked it how would i get it running again

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

start it?? maybe fresh oil in carb just a little.

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I would pull the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with marvel mystery oil for a day or two then try turning it over with the plugs still out and the coil unplugged. If it doesn't turn after that you probably have to pull the heads and see whats what. After you get it turning you are going to have to clean the carb thoroughly since you know that all the fuel in their is garbage.

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

The gas has long gone bad if its sat that long, drain ur tanks and put some new in

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

While you are letting the oil soak inside the cylinders, pull the carb and clean and rebuild it. I would ignore the gas tank and get it running off a small gas can first. No telling what kind of shape your fuel lines are in. Better to deal with one thing at a time. Pull the dist, taking note of the rotor and vac advance location. Buy or fab a oil pump drive shaft that chucks up in a drill, replace the oil, and spin the oil pump till you get oil outta the rockers. Now you should have oil everywhere inside the engine. Install the rebuilt carb, plumb the fuel pump to a gas can. Assuming you have been able to turn the motor over by hand, you can now put a battery in er and fire away.

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Make sure you can turn the engine by hand first though, or you may cause some serious damage if something is seized and you force it with the starter.

7. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

There was an episode of 'Trucks!' that did exactly what you are trying to do. Except the engine that was in this thing had been sitting for decades - I was an old World War Dodge I believe. Just make sure you can turn the engine by hand to ensure it's not siezed first, and use some penetrating oil to get things moving again. Rebuilding the carb is also a good idea, who knows what kind of crap is in there waiting to gum up your engine for good. Just take you time and don't ignore things that look like problems, best to address them while you still can. Good luck. :o

8. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Agree totally. Check for signs of wild life living in the system as well. I have seen rodents nest in odd places. I am sure the rig wouldn't appreciate a mouse inside. It would be like the Jeeps and the four angry squirrels.