Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get drums off 14bff??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Aug 14, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I need to take the drums off to check out the breakes and I was wondering how to get the drumm off.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

take all the bolts off and wack it with the side of a hammer to losen it up. then it should come right off.

oh make sure u dont wack the edge of the drum. hit it in the center

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

After you get the tire and wheel removed you will need to remove the bolts holding the axle in, get them out and slide the axle shaft out. Then unscrew the axle nut and remove the lock washer and spacer, remove inner nut, remove outer bearing.

At this point the drum may or may not come off. If it doesn't you will need a small screw driver to back off the brakes on the self adjusters. There will be a slot in the backing plate and there will be a small ring gear looking thing and you will need to turn it with the flat head. This takes a while but when you get the adjuster backed off the shoes should allow the drum to come off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    take all the bolts off and wack it with the side of a hammer to losen it up. then it should come right off.

oh make sure u dont wack the edge of the drum. hit it in the center

[/ QUOTE ]

14 bolt full float /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I was a little /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif for a minute when he said that.
    I tried taking all the bolts out of the hub but I have the 14bff on jackstands in the garage and the wheel would just turn, then I tried a breaker bar, guess this gives me more of a excuse to get a compressor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I was a little /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif for a minute when he said that.
    I tried taking all the bolts out of the hub but I have the 14bff on jackstands in the garage and the wheel would just turn, then I tried a breaker bar, guess this gives me more of a excuse to get a compressor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]THose axle bolts get really tight. Even my 1/2" drive impact won't take them out at first. I have to break them all loose with the breaker bar first.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Use a tie down strap against one of the notches in the hub and strapped to a spring perch or something. Start turning the bolts until the strap becomes taught now you can lean on it without the hub and drum turning. Just careful you don't roll it off the stands onto your toes.

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I had a chain lyin by my 14FF so I hooked it to a shock mount then put it so the pinion couldnt turn then wrapped the other end up somewhere...