Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to get drums off 14ff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jul 16, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey guys i have a mid-late 70s 14ff. i think the brakes are stuck, but im trashing them anyways for discs. anyways, how do i get the drums off? the axle has the smaller drum brakes if that means anything.

sorry, i just did a search and think i found what i needed. shoulda searched first, but for some silly reason i didnt think it would be a big topic. haha :doah:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

on the lower half of the backing plate is an access slot for the ebrake adjuster arm/sprocket, stick a screwdriver in there and unscrew that ebrake gear, then hit the crap out of the outside of the drum with a BFH to get the shoes to free themselves.

3. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

if that doesn't work look on the backing plate where you feed the pins through that hold the shoes on. you can cut the heads of the pins off with a chisel :hack: that usually works. last resort is to undo the large nut at the top of the backing plate, that will let the hole works pull free if you can get it loose :D

4. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

on that era of FF, you need to slide the axles out and disassemble the bearings as well

5. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my 78 FF brakes stuck good I just cut the backing plate around the axle enough so I could get it off with out hitting the axle it was the easiest way I am also going to disc set up so it didn't matter to me try that if nothing else works I had tried everything to get it off.

6. muddybuddy

alright, i took the shafts out and got the 2 hub nuts off, but the brakes wont come off. i can move them up and down, so i guess they arent stuck. the only thing thats left in there looks like a seal and then a lil washer type thing. how do i get the seal out? i tried needle nose pliers and screw driver and just cant seem to get it out. i can twist it but thats it. is it threaded? should i still be able to get the brakes off w/o taking the seal thing off? i just want to get that out, i dont care if i destroy it in the process, i jus dont wanna mess up anything else.

7. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if I am thinking correctly, there are 2 nuts per side?

8. muddybuddy

yes there are 2 nuts for each side. i removed both of them, but they still wont come off. am i missing anything?