Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get Engine static out

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When i run my CB, i get engine noise when the RPM's increase. What can I do to get this out of my CB. My CB is hooked up to a wire that is only active with the ignition on. Where should i connect the power wire? Any ideas? Thanks

Harley

2. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Power for best results go to battery. Heavier than you need. 10ga wire is usually a good bet. Neg and Pos go straight to battery.
    Can get a filter and try it as well. My advice is first to check out www.wilsonantenna.com and check out their tech support/troubleshooting section. Even if you don't have a wilson antenna, they describe how to make a "sniffer" you can use to determine where the RF interference is coming from. Is a very effective way to track down the problem.

Good luck, keep us posted...

3. Hossbaby50

Could my MSD box be causing the RF interference? Or is it because it is probably hooked up to a ignition wire? My Neg is grounded to the floor boards, is that good or bad? Thanks

Harley

4. The_Sandman_454

Directly to battery. Pos and Neg. The battery acts as a big filter to help filter that crap out. Best routing for the wires for the power of the radio are across the core support either top or bottom (secured so it can't get into fan or get torn off, etc) to the drivers fender and then into cab, keeping it as far away from the ignition wires, etc as possible.

That might solve the problem all by itself.

Do you have an electric fuel pump? Sometimes those cause interference.

Use heavier gage wire to run from the battery to as close to the radio as possible. That won't help with the static (the heavier wires) but will ensure it gets all the power it needs...

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run mine with shortest possible ground wire. The positive power wire is going to a power block for my sterio system. Big heavy power cable to the batt.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Kenwood makes an ACTIVE DC filter for commercial applications, p/n KLF-2. These filters will squelch ANY noise whatsoever (I use them in commercial communications applications). I can get you one, if you'd like...

Let me know...

7. Hossbaby50

What do they cost?

8. Burbinator

If I remember correctly, they're about $30-$40 or so and well worth it...

I'm an engineer, not a salesman, so I'll check with my sales staff on Monday and get you an absolute concrete number for you.

9. Hossbaby50

Let me know. Thanks

Harley

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Your MSD ingition will effect the noise. Best bet for wiring is to void the ground to the battery and run the shortest ground possible. If you can... run power to battery, but if not the fuse block will work fine.

11. Hossbaby50

Right now it is grounded to the body. My CB is right above my tcase shifter, and my ground wire is grounded to the metal dash, or the tcase shifter, I don't remember which right now. So the ground is about a foot long max, and the power wire is connected to a wire under the dash that is on a keyed switch.

12. Burbinator

I just talked with my sales staff. I can get you one for $28 (my price). Let me know...

Thanks!

13. Hossbaby50

I will have to get back to you on this a little later. I am trying to get my finances in order. I am trying to figure out everything I am going to need for my 3/4 ton swap. I will most likely get one from you. But probably not for a little while. Plus if I wait, I will be back in PHX in a few weeks, and can pick it up instead of having to have you mail it. Thanks for finding the price out for me.

Harley

14. Burbinator

I usually keep about five in stock at all times, so there will be one available when you are. Just send me a PM when you're ready!

15. Hossbaby50

Will do. Thanks alot.

Harley

16. The_Sandman_454

Honestly, why not just try wiring it up the right way first? It's virtually free, plus pretty much everybody I've talked to on the subject says the first step is approximately 10 guage ground and power wires both hooked to battery and a seperate ground for the radio to the body. That ground is the RF ground and shouldn't be hooked to the battery. If it's a more powerful radio you'll want that type of power connection anyhow. That actually solved the RFI problem in my 92 3/4T... Had the power from the fusebox and grounded to the firewall... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

It *does* help and even if it doesn't completely solve the problem you know it's at least sure to get all the power it needs... Run 10ga wire as close to the radio as possible... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

17. Hossbaby50

I will try it with the power wires to the battery. But I have had the radio wired several different ways in the past. none of which worked. The divice to take out all RF is probably what I will have to go with though because of the MSD stuff. In some of the MSD stuff it says that it can interfere with radio signals and stuff like that. We will see though.

18. The_Sandman_454

One thing to check is does the noise go away when you disconnect the antenna from the radio. If the noise goes completely away (the interference) then it's being picked up by the antenna and no amount of wiring is going to change it (although better grounding for much of your stuff, making sure plug wires are good, etc might help). If the interference remains with the antenna unplugged, then the filter or proper wiring will help... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

19. Hossbaby50

Thats a good thought. My antanna is on my roof (metal part) I may have to move it to the fiberglass part, and see if that will help any. My whole igntion is MSD, except the distributor. The cap, rotor, coil, ignition box, and wires are all MSD.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You might try a ground strap (like used on car sterios) from the antenna mount to the frame if you plan on mounting on the fiberglass.