Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get more power and still be smog legal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Dec 16, 2002.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I just got an 89 GMC 1 ton with a 454 TBI. It could use about 50 to 80 more HP. I want to keep it all smog legal. I know about the chips, CAT backs, smog legal headers and good flowing air cleaners. I want MORE power. Is this even possible with a smogged, computer controled 89? Any feedback, links or laughs appreciated.

I'll have to post a few pictures of this "Disco 4x4" before I de-disco it! It was done in 1990, so that should be a hint. I'll have lots of stuff to sell and trade. Unfortunatly, I doubt you guys would want any of it.

Eric M.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Change the heads to some high performance units, and change the cam to something a little more radical. Both of these things can be done and maintain the smog legal status. The heads will need an EO number and the cam can't be too radical, but you should get an easy 75+ HP out of the two mods together. </font color>

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you pretty much summed it up. Maybe a cam to go with your setup. a blueprinted TBI assembly might be another (and expensive) option.

How fast do you want to spend? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Someone mentioned Vortex blower. I hear they are smog legal. Anyone have any experience with these?

Eric M.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you want to spend $3000 instead of $1500, then go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif They're actually Vortech, not Vortex. There are lots of other good brands of blowers out there, btu the smog legal ones are all really pricey. I'd find a N/A solution, just due to the cost. </font color>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can modify your throttle Body to flow better and produce more power.
    This stuff works good:(link)TBI performance

7. Couldn't you replace the EEPROM with a reprogrammed chip to make that much more power? You could always toss in the old one when you need to have it smogged every two years. I wouldn't think it'd take more than 1/2 hour to replace the chip.

8. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

one word nitrous

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The chips are almost completely worthless. (pre-made, like the hypertechs anyway, not custom burned for mods)

4th post down if you don't believe me:
    http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=118572&amp;highlight=hypertech

Thats been the consensus, almost no difference, and nothing noticeable. Even in the 1/4 mile in a 16 second car (which has much to improve on : ) it won't take off even .2 seconds. I've also seen reports that it changed the fuel requirements to keep from pinging.

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I don't know what kind of gears you are running now but replacing them for a higher(numerically speaking) number would improve your pulling/towing/ accelaration and you don't have to deal with the smog nazis.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

12. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

I personally would start with www.turbocity.com matched injectors and maybe their air flow enhancer, MSD replacement coil and wires, www.cfm-tech.com TBI power plate, upgrade your cam with no more then 210 degrees @.050 lift on the exhaust side (split pattern) and with those shitty heads the bigger the split the better(Crane usually has a bigger split then Comp), 3" mandrel bent single exhaust from the y-pipe back, smog legal headers if you can afford them. Upgrade your air cleaner to dual snorkel (I would cut and hack the existing one) if it isn't already and make sure you have the hoses routed from the air cleaner snorkel to the radiator core support. Hope this helps, you may need the adjustable fuel regulator, fuel pressure gauge and air fuel mixture meter to optimize the tuning. Get new O2 sensors

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Any feedback, links or laughs appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA.... &lt;- As you requested... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"1974, 1973, 1972, 1971, 1970, 1969 K5"

There you go, SIX ways to build an engine ANY way you want.... 1975 coming soon! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    upgrade your cam with no more then 210 degrees @.050 lift on the exhaust side (split pattern)

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. That would net nearly no improvement and be a total waste of time. I had a 206/214 in my 305 and it still had tons of torque. 210/218 would probably be the smallest I'd go in a 350.

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You come over across the bay, buy the 74 body w/ 88 front clip that I have in the backyard, and drop the 74 body on top of your existing frame. Then you own a 74 and it is smog exempt so you can do whatever you want with it. Or, you buy the body, and 74 refurbished frame that I have too. Since I bought a pristine 76 Blazer, I now will be selling the frame that I sandblasted, welded, and POR-15'ed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You say you have some parts for sale? I am building my K5 into a show rig and already have chrome diff covers, trim, billtet grill with billet bowtie, weld racing rims with boggers. I will be chroming my 10 shocks soon. I am looking for more shiney parts. Send me a PM on what you want to get rid of.

Why would you want to tear it apart, it looks fixed up nicely?

85K5 3/4ton,14b0ltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif