Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to get rid of glazed over brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Jun 11, 2005.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

alright so i went mudding a little while ago and ever since then my brakes sqeek. After i went i pulled all four tires off and washed the brakes as well i could with water and then brake cleaning having them spinning while i did it. for awhile this helped but now they still squeek and i havent been offroading in a while. i think my brakes are glazed over. what is the best way to find out and solve the problem. o and this is 4 wheel disc dana 60 and 14 bolt. pads are fairly new a couple months old

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If the pads are glazed, a little sanding, by hand, should take the glaze off.

-- A

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

glazing is the only thing i could think would be wrong. cuz its not consistent noise. all the ohter times i would clean them once or twice and it would go away and this time i guess alot more mud got in. ill take them apart and see what the deal is. hopefully a little sanding will solve my problems

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you will find that the rivit holes are full of mud. klean them out and scuff the pads and drums and rotors with some course sand paper. but i bet most of what you are hearing is the mud in the rivit holes.

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

alright well looks like i get to try to squeeze that into 2morrow. shouldnt take too long. thanks for the suggestions everyone

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

When I used to run in the mud all the time I had the same problem.A brake guy at the dealer I worked at told me to take a scribe and score the rotor from the center out in four or five places around the rotor inside and out.The cool part about this trick is ya can do it without pulling anything.It worked for me :D

7. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

the best way ive found to un glaze brakes is to wet sand the pads using brake kleen and40-grit sandpaper. then use a air grinder and 3m rolloc disc and clean the rotor.