Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get some flex?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering how to get lots of flex out of my truck. Eventually I'll have 8-10" lift (rear shackle flip) and hopefully BDS springs. And also is there a place you can buy those ramps to test the flex? I dont have a place near me so I thought I could maybe buy one. But help me with some flex!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

is it stock?...try taking the sway bar of and then see what she does /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

By the way I have some rusty ford shock tower mounts im cleaning up to put on, so that will help, what else!!

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will the sway bar help much?? Wont it be hard to drive on-road with out it on??

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone! Helppp! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm not running a sway bar on my DD burb with 4" of lift. With stock springs, it might be kinda scary to drive on the road, but with lift springs (stiffer), you don't really need the swaybar. Might want it if you tow, though.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No it will be ok on the road unless your springs are super soft. Just don't drive it like a race car. A lot of people here don't run a sway bar myself included. Much nicer ride on and off road /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Just be aware at the myriad of problems flex can create, and plan around them (brakelines, shocks, shafts, handling, fenders, etc)

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I'll agree with everyone else. Take off that swaybar. I have stock springs, no swaybar on my DD and it drives just fine. It was the best mod I've done to my truck yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, and what are some good long travel shocks? And where can I buy them? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Resurrection_Joe

There are some Gabriels that have a little over 12" of travel and are $20 a piece at auto zone

I'm going to run these in the rear

I'm gonna run stock 6" lift shocks in the front to limit travel, the flex is too much for my driveline to run long travels

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is there a way to make it so theres no worries about driveline damage when flexing? Thanks.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, make sure you have driveshafts (front and rear) that don't separate when the suspension is at full droop and aren't so long that they jam into the t-case before the suspension is fully cycled up. And, make sure the front will clear any crossmembers/exhaust-crossovers and not bind at the CV joint.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Personally, I dont like driving with the swaybar disconnected. I am running BDS springs on my blazer, and with the swaybar disconnected on the road, there is way too much body roll around corners. My brother has some of the stiffest rancho springs made on his blazer, and with the swaybar off, his exhibits some pretty crazy leans in the turns too. If your going to be driving on and offroad a lot, I would recommend buying the swaybar quick disconnect kit from offroad design. It allows you to quickly disconnect the swaybar via pins for wheeling, then move the swaybar back into its original position, snap the pins in, and drive down the road with the swaybar connected. The best of both worlds. Everyone told me that the swaybar limited flex soo much, but I didnt really notice a difference with mine disconnected. Yes, there was maybe a little more flex, but nothing amazing enough to make me want to drive around with it unhooked on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (And no, there is nothing on my truck that limited the flex with the swaybar off like too short shocks, too short of brakelines, driveshafts, the usual whatnot.) You guys may disagree with me, but this is how I feel about swaybars. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where would be a good place to get a driveshaft customized so it works perfectly for that?

17. Resurrection_Joe

High Angle will make you custom shafts, but they are VERY expensive (damn standard for high quality goods driving up price ^_^)

There are other places to get custom ones made

Some local shops can help too

You'll need CV's to be sure, front and rear at the T Case output, maybe not rear is it's not too high

You can get away with 1410 in the front on a 2 joint shaft if it's low enough (someone confirm this)

I'd juts like to say here that this guy has been asking some great, though basic questions, and I for one am glad to have him for a member

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Who me? If it is me you speak of, thank you, although I wish I could return some questions you ask with answers, but for one, I'm not very experienced, yet /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Thanks for all your help CK5 members! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

19. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey we all learn somehow. All the questions you ask are all very good questions to ask /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Keep it up

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

1410's will run at a steeper angle than the stock double cardan up front. If all you see is low range wheeling why bother with a CV or DC joint in the front shaft?

Rene