Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get the top off??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, May 20, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Since it is getting close to summer time I am thinking about taking my top off, what are some of the methods yall use to get it off? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif----> /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Don't worry, it shouldn't be hard. Unbolt all the top bolts and ones on the cab. In the back of the bed is a bolt on each side the come up from the bottom. Unplug the wires, go to the beer store and buy a bunch of beer. Invite your friends over for a beer (4 people, 24 beers min. recommended). Warning, only have one or two beers before removing the top (on the truck! not you). After carefully setting top down, continue to drink all available beers and your done /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.
    If you run into any trouble removing the top, send a non-drunk friend or wife to the beer store for another 12 pack while you figure out what bolts you missed.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Mine has 1/2" bolts in it. I get a ratchet undo the bolts stand in the back and pop ot off the pins on the bed rails. Then a buddy and I will each lift one side and place on ground. Peace of freakin cake /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Oh yea when you put it back on I only put 2 bolts back in on the sides but all back in where it meets with the cab. Makes taking it off next time a little easier.

4. 85mudblazin

Is there any way to do it buy yourself, say if all your friends are gone or just to lazy to help?

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

My brother takes his off by himself and hes little. Remove the bolts and stand up underneath it whith ur back on the roof. Then push it back to where itll almost fall off and then get out and pull it off SLOWLY till you can set part of it on the ground and make sure it doesnt fall off or your screwed. If I were you id find a friend cause that thing weighs ALOT!

nick

7. 85mudblazin

Tomorrow is my last day of school and we get early out so I will take the top off tomorrow and ill let yall know how it went. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i know someone mentioned it allready but don't forget the 2 hidden bolts, on the inside of the rear panels. There is one on each side at the back. The first time i took my top off i forgot those two damn bolts, and nearly lost my mind /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I was pushing and lifting to no avail, man was i pissed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Then i looked behind the panels and there they were /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifBoy did i feel stupid! Good luck

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I just took mine off and it went rather smooth. I followed the write up about using pully's and rope, but w/ anyone to help you lift the other side it's useless. So I have come up w/ a winch system using the same idea. Some bearings from boat house winch system,2" conduit, trailer hand crank winch, and cable. You get the idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Then all I have to do id hook up some clips and crank away.