Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to get top dead center

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, May 8, 2003.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Ok heres the deal my friend gave me a 350 engine out of his 76 blazer its used of course but he took the distributor out well i got the engine in my truck but i dont have the distributor in yet i went and bought one at the auto parts store and got a new cap and rotor to now what i want to know is how do i get it to top dead center and any tips or tricks would be helpful to.This is my first time doing this so i want to do it right.
    Thanks for all you guys help this is the best site by far.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you damper isn't jacked up and reads correctly, you can pull all the plugs and then turn the motor over by hand (clockwise)while holding you finger in the #1 cylinder plug hole...You WILL know when the pistons is traveling UP on it compression stroke b/c I will damn near blow you finger out of the hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then just continue to turn it over clock wise until the damper reads 0*...that #1 TDC /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

thanks for the info