Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to go about rear disc brakes... 91 K5 w/ 10.5 14bolt -

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boscolingus, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

are there off the shelf parts I can buy to convert the rear axle to disk brakes? - Who do I contact and where do I begin, thanks all in advance

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

some of the guys on the board make disc brackets...i know misfit is one of them...shoot him a pm. to the best of my knowledge you can use caddy eldorado calipers and retain an e brake...

you might want to check out tsm...they make disc brake conversions, dont know if for a 14 or not

with my 14, i was just going to go hunting at the junkyard and just buy some brackets off of one of the guys on the board...

Later

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

oh by the way...i think oru(off road unlimited) makes a complete bolt on kit...it includes all the parts and everything...

kinda pricey i think...but might be worth it to you cuz you dont have to scrounge for any parts...

Later

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Did a 10-->14 conversion on my 91 sub. Used an 80 14FF for it. Only problem was my e-brake cables were the 'long/short' on the 91 and 2 equal on the 80 (heck, parking brakes are optional anyway, right?).
    Hunting down the parts to do the disc brake conversion now. Search the archives for postings. Someone had a complete parts list for it.
    Once u have the adapters, it's pretty straight forward, but depending on how you mount the calipers could present some challanges on bleeding.
    The 76-78 caddy eldorado (?yrs) are the preferred ones to retain parking brake capability. May be necessary depending on the state you life in.
    Autozone has the non-parking brake rebuilds @ 15 bucks or so. Flex hoses run 20-25 each side or so or $50 kit from the prof bracket folks (TSM & 1 other).
    Rotors are early (mid-70-80s?) 3/4 ton. Seen them posted for $30 - 100+ depending on source. Guess it has to do with metal quality.
    Pads is Pads.... Found Performance Friction @ AUtozone for < $30 (think that's on their web site as well)
    Haven't done mine yet.. Still need to grad 1 brake hose and wait for the spring thaw to do mine.
    Hope this helps.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ORU is about $1500 (e-brake, slotted rotors)
    Boyce $700 (caddy e-brake calipers)

From the board I think you can get the stuff for less than $500.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

to anyone that has down the swap, did you take pics and do a write up? cus I might be doing this to mine, but I want to see what I'm getting myself into before I go tearing apart a perfectly good drum brake set up,LOL.
    my questions are:
    what year rotors?
    what year calipers?
    grinding for 15's?
    any special labor needed?(machine the rotors or ??)
    Thanks

7. bmwsma

bmwsma Registered Member

I just got my brackets from derbinater or something like that and D*MN are they sweet. Lazer cut, all spacers and hardware. $100 to my door.

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Check out www.geocities.com/gettin_deep This is PREDATOR's home page. At the bottom of the axle swap page he gives a break down on the prices and part numbers and years of parts. He did his for like $280 I think it was.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

cool thanks/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. tonto

tonto Registered Member

another place everyone could check is wagonermachine.com they make disc brake kits in 6 or 8-lug style for D-60 and 14-bolt. you still retain the full float and csn use a 15" rim. they sell them for $550 per axle. only down side is no e-brake. could use a line lock, used in racing, for a new e-brake. their number is 918-341-1722. they are in claremore,ok.

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

AZKICKIN.....easy. I use front calipers from GM $15 each, GM rotors $25 each, pads were like $10. all from a 78 K20. Get the hose kit from az-kickin save ya some trouble trying to piece it together. Here's mine. Any tech questions feel free to PM me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, you need brackets from someone that includes all the hardware. A bunch of people and companies make them. I'd say harass misfit or derbinator about 'em if you want them inexpensively. I've PMed misfit a bunch of times and he's a great guy. Various people also sell them on Echobit.

The rest is simple. You buy new rotors (just under $30 depending on where you go), new calipers ($15-27 depending on what piston size and banjo orientation you want plus $15-35 core), new pads (#52s for about $15), and new brake hoses. GM A-body hoses are nice and short while being cheap (around $12/each).

If you want to retain the emergency/parking brake that is where it gets expensive. 76-78 ElDorado calipers are known to work. I believe the SeVille/DeVilles of that vintage have similar but smaller piston calipers. I'm not sure if 79-91 F-body calipers will work or not.

14. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want to retain the emergency/parking brake that is where it gets expensive. 76-78 ElDorado calipers are known to work. I believe the SeVille/DeVilles of that vintage have similar but smaller piston calipers. I'm not sure if 79-91 F-body calipers will work or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only caliper that will work and retain the e-brake is the 76-78 el dorado caliper. The ones you mentioned will not fit the over the rotor IIRC and I'm not even sure if they have the correct hole to hole distance to fit the bracket.
    As far as prices:
    Bracket Kit (includes hardware) $80.00
    Hose Kit (includes all fittings and banjo bolts) $55.00 (add 10 for braided hoses)
    GM Calipers(Loaded Re-Mfg Raybestos) $130.00
    Cadiallac Calipers(Loaded Re-Mfg Raybestos) $260.00