Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to handle 36.5" spring perch situation...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Feb 13, 2004.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

How to handle 36.5\" spring perch situation...

Hey Y'all,
    I am hashing out the mounting of my MH front end. It has 36.5" spring centers like a Ford HPD60. If I move the perches in 2.25" on either side, I run into a problem on the driver's side. Part of the perch will be on the diff. housing. The question is, should I make a custom spring perch that has a mounting surface of 3" and a base of 2" so that the most inboard 1" is over the diff, but not welded to it? Or, should I move my spring mounts and shackles outside of the frame 2.25" on either side? Or, should I just say %$^# it and go with coil-overs on the front end[the axle already has a panhard bar attached to it]? I am certainly not an expert at suspension design so I am a little nervous about doing the coil-over approach, although I'm sure we have some guys here who could talk me through it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know I could cut and weld up some beefy outboard spring mounts or engineer some sort of perch, but what do my cyber-buddies think/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif? Let me have it

[​IMG]
    Just for reference and because I am getting worse than Supersize75 at posting photos at will. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: How to handle 36.5\" spring perch situation...

Heres my thoughts:

1) No lockers
    2) No Gears
    3) Wrong spring perch width
    4) Small shafts
    5) 10 Lug
    6) Low Pinion
    7) Too close to center pinion

Why don't you just find a 60??? What you have is nothing better and it's going to just take a ton of work to make it worth using...

As far as your perches, if you move the mounts in the frame out your going to run into problems running a tire larger than 36" or so since the 36" spring perch width is too wide. Thats why when doing solid axle swaps in the newer trucks we need a 32" width.

3. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Jason, I appreciate your thoughts and here are some counter-thoughts just for arguments sake:

1) No lockers- I can just weld the spiders up
    2) No Gears- what's wrong with 5.13s?
    3) Wrong spring perch width- requires some fab, but not impossible
    4) Small shafts- custom upgradable, D60 owners do it all the time
    5) 10 Lug-recentered humvee wheels
    6) Low Pinion- not too bad
    7) Too close to center pinion- not as bad as your mogs;)

Why don't you just find a 60??? What you have is nothing better and it's going to just take a ton of work to make it worth using... --Well for one thing, it's just a little bit refreshing to do something different. Sure there's a parts availability problem and it's a challenge, but it doesn't always have to be an easy bolt on operation. I may be on here in a few more weeks wanting to trade for a Dana 60 and then you can say "I told you so," but I'm going to give it a helluva shot until then.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sell it on eBay and use the money to find a D60.

If you still insist on using it, consider coilovers and a 4 link setup for suspension. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

If you're dead set on keeping this beast, move the perches and put it on the pumpkin.
    Isn't that what the jeep guys have to do for a spring over? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif