Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to heat truck up faster in winter??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

my 93 chevy takes forever to heat up and i was wondering what i can do to get it warmed up faster. thanks

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Get a block heater, it takes the place of one of your freeze plugs.....

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Cover the radiator with a section of cardboard but make sure you watch the temp gauge as the season gets warmer. The block heater won't really help too much with the warming up faster. It will give the block an initial temp so as to crank over easier.

4. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

When I lived in Alaska I had 3 plugs hanging out of my grill: block heater, lower radiator hose heater, and a stick-on heat element for the oil pan.

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

What about switching to an electric fan. Don't allow it to turn on until you throw a switch, then have that switch turn on the normal circuit.

-Chris

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Replace the thermostat with a new "premium" 195 deg stat from Napa or Carquest.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless you can increase the heat output from the cylinders, or warm up the coolant before hand, you can't speed up the process. Without the engine being up to the temp of the thermostat, the coolant in the block isn't getting cooled!

There is SOME conduction of heat through the lower hose, but I doubt it's anywhere near enough to worry about.

Oh yeah, and leave the heater off too. It DOES circulate coolant, and it serves as a small radiator that ISN'T governed by the thermostat, the longer you wait to turn it on, theres that much more that ISN'T getting cooled.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Amen to that sheit!! Nothin like a good jan/feb cold snap eh?? I can't say I miss those days very much.

9. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

When I retire from the AF in three years I will be moving back to Anchorage, so I will not have to put up with almost 80 degree days in Jan anymore. :D

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Two word answers...

Two ways to faster heat--

1.Heated Garage!
    2.Block Heater

I have a tank type heater in the heater hose of my diesel,if I leave it plugged in for easier starts in the extreme cold,it not only starts faster,it has at least lukewarm heat right away,and is toasty in 5-10 minites--unplugged,it takes a good 15 minites before ice stop blowing out of the dash vents....if the truck has been in the garage with the heat going,it is easier to warm up than from a stone cold outdoor start,since the sheet metal and interior is already room temparature....

I use the carboard in front of the radiator trick too,but once in a while the temps shoot up to 50 degrees or so,and I had to pull over and yank it out,so it wont boil over!--not exactly safe on the expressway...I just keep a 195 degree thermostat in my trucks,and it doesnt take that long to get good heat,assuming the heater core and cooling system is in good shape...

Also you might try insulating the heater hoses with pipe insulation you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's,it makes a huge difference,the more heat that GETS to he heater and not lost to the air thru the hoses,the better--my friend thought of that a few years ago,made a big improvement in his heat--you can hardly keep your hand in front of his heater outlet,its that hot!.:crazy:

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alright cool thanks for the advice. i guess i will have to decide what to do, it already has a 195 stat in it. any suggestions on good block heaters then. it is a gasser by the way. :grin:

12. bigyellowjimmy

Are you positive the thermostat is working properly? Even if its slightly lazy from wear it will take your engine forever to warm up when its bitter cold (or it wont warm up at all). As routine maintenance in cold climates they should be replaced every fall with a premium quality one. The cheap ones often dont work properly right from the box.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow, i would kill for some 80 degree weather here in mich, i hate the cold.:laugh:

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

actually i have been wondering that myself, it dont even get close to 195 or even over 150 while it is running, looks like i got a project ahead of me. is there an easy way to replace one without draining all the coolant? thanks, chris

15. bigyellowjimmy

Depends on how you like to do things, the *proper* way is to drain the radiator so you dont make a mess removing the thermostat housing. Of course what we usually do is remove the housing and wash off the spilled antifreeze. Remember to use a premium stat from Napa or Carquest and to use 50/50 antifreeze mix when refilling.

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i had a 65-35 min turn to slush on me a back in december, when it was just bitterly cold.

I thought od a idea i want to do for my truck, wire it all up for one plug, to run a

block heater,

oilpan/dip stick heater,

coolent warmer/pump
    a, space heater under the dash

and a small trickel charger to the batt. have it all on a timer for a few hours befor i have to go to work and i am laughing

i was thinking of getting one of thoughs lamps with the retractable cord and canobalizing it and useing it for the cord. So it does itsself up!!!

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and will also preheat your engine coolant, which will make it warm up faster.:screwy:

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you need a stat. my 91 was doing the same exact thing for almost a year. wasnt bad when the weather was nice, weather got cold, so i changed it. problem solved.