Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to hook up a tach?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

dont know anything about this tach other than its some napa one..found it in the garage ramaging...its a cool chrome one looks like it has a mount for moutning on the steering column. has three different wires coming out of it. is there a way to hook it up or something? any one have anyideas? also found a cobra cb radio..not to old..from 94..looks like new..hope it works good!

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

one wire, is for the pickup off the distributor. Another one is for a ground, one for power. I don't know if it has a light, but one of em may be for a light hookup. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm dunno. there are three wires...look they have been cut..and are ready for splicing to another wire. know what i could connect them to if i looked for it under the hood? there is aleady a small hole in the fire wall that use to have wires going through it i could use to put them through.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What type of distributor doe's it have? Point's or HEI?
    If point's connect to the coil side [wire that go's to dist.] or if HEI there is a "tach" connection close to where the power lead go's into the cap.

On one of the wire's is for power [12v] and one is for ground.

5. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

ok, what color are your three wires? i could give you a hint then from there..well actually, there should be at least a red one = power, black = ground, and the other should go to the distributor (assuming you have HEI) its pretty simple once you figure out which wire does what, it took me about 10-15 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you wanna do a clean install, go to the wrecking yard. Any 80's GM vehicle will have "spare" locking accessory wires/plugs, grab one that locks into the 12V ignition accessory ports. Grab one of the locking ground wires while you are at it. Your ground terminal in the cab is behind the dash on the left side. (basically behind the drivers AC vent if you have AC)

Then, find an HEI Camaro. ('75+) Cut the tach lead off of the wire leading to the distributor. Solder those three wires to the correct tach wires, and you've got a plug and play tach, which will keep you from having problems that influence other devices.

I'd wire your CB up the same way.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have an HEI...so one wire would go to the groun on the left isde ofthe dahs..the other to the distributer..and the other tooo...? one is red and one is black..and if im not mistaken with out looking at it..the other one is green.

8. K5Redneck33

yea that sounds right, red is like a positive, black will be ground, and green goes to the distributor. there is a spot allready on the cap on the distributor that even says tach on it... you'll need a female end piece that will slide right on it then youll be set /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ohh yea now i remmber. isnt there a little plug that plugs into the bottom of the cap there? liek a pink colord wire?

10. K5Redneck33

that sounds right. im no where near my k5 so i cant go look at it, but if its the same wire im thinkin of then the green wire should hook up right next to it. i mean if you look at your cap the hook up will be on the drivers side..its kinda hard to miss really /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok so i need a connecter for the distributer..how about the other two wires..the red and black..ground and light? or 12 volt source? how and were can i conect them?

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Any circuit which is on with the ign. switch in run postion, will work for power, and a ground is a screw under the dash.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok cool..so are there connecters i need at the end of these wires to do thise or what? the ends of the wires are just cut...

14. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You'll need one spade connector for the HEI tach feed, and a butt connector, for power, and a small eye, for the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh thanx dude thats JUST what i was looking for!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That what this Forum is all about, helping one another. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif