Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to ID a Goodwrench 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Theres one in a truck that has GM Goodwrench 350 on the valve covers, and the whole motor is painted black. Any other way to tell without having the block numbers?

How are Goodwrench 350's built?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was under the impression those are just stock type replacement motors ( but not service replacement with CE on them like for warranty replacement ) some , but not all , with 4 bolt mains . I believe they are cast in Mexico . Good starting point though still /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. mountainexplorer

It seems to start up and run good, doesnt smoke. I'm half tempted to put it in my red truck, but, I might as well sell it and build my own motor.

I'd assume a Goodwrench 350 has dished pistons, is low compression, and has a very stock cam in it.

I could probably sell it, and use that money to put together a 350 I have with flattops, 305 heads, 280/.485 lift cam and a quiet gear drive.

Should out perform a stock Goodwrench motor, if it even is one.

4. pauly383

I like it , except for the tiny 305 heads . If you want more compression with the flattops ( I like flattops ) , you could mill some 350 heads . Or just go domed /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. mountainexplorer

I've heard that 305 heads aren't that bad. The ones I have are like a 60cc chamber I think with 1.82 valves. This motor won't be a high rev motor anyway. It'll be the most stock truck I have.

6. pauly383

Well , then drop that cam down to a 268 , if its gonna live the lower RPM route . It will be slightly lopey , but still pull good vacuum . a 280 would need more flow , and work better higher up /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. mountainexplorer

I'm just hooked on the sound of a nice cam. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know, the less duration, the better for towing and pulling. Though I'm actually surprised how the 292 cam in my SB400 will pull even at lower RPMs.

I also have a "factory 300HP 350 cam" new in the box. Thats what I was told it is, though I don't have the specs on it.

8. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Though I'm actually surprised how the 292 cam in my SB400 will pull even at lower RPMs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres no substitution for Cubic Inches /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The bastid PO's took the 400 out of my 79 Sub and put in a Goodwrench 350. What a POS! No cam timing and no comp ratio. Makes no power and gets 9 MPG doing it. Was going to shortly get some head work and a cam, but my normal wheeler ate a valve so it gets the money and limited time I have to fix something b4 the Baja 1000.