Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to identify a worn transfer case chain?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mplogic, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Hey all. Have my NP241 all apart at the moment to take care of a shifting problem. Just wondering if there are any guidelines on how to identify a chain that should be replaced? It seems to have some slack in it but don't know if it is near the servicable limit or if it's ok.

Thanks!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some slack is ok, excessive tons of slack is wear, you have to use your judgement on this one really, if you plan on keeping and using the case then you might want to replace it for insurance reasons, also mileage and type of lubricant used in the case would affect this

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You've got it apart, might as well replace the chain. Maybe get a overhaul kit while you're at it.

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Yea, that's what I'm thinking too, unfortunately GM wants $230 for a new chain. I'm replacing all the seals but all the bearings seem to be in great shape. The little plastic guides on the shifter arm got eaten up (was popping out of 4 low) so that is why we cracked it in the first place. I've only had this truck for a few years and supposedly the previous owner didn't use the 4wd much, so I'd hate to replace a chain that still has plenty of life left. Was hoping to find a printed guideline on how to measure stretch on one of these.

When it's all together (with the back half off) I can move the chain approx a half inch side to side on the top or bottom. I know when they get really loose they'll smack the sides of the case and make some nasty noise. I just don't want to get a brand new chain and find that it fits exactly the same as the old one.

Anyone know if a new chain can be "wiggled" at all when installed or are they totally tight?

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Try a parts store (like Autozone) for the chain. Bumper to Bumper quoted me somewhere around $100 - $150 for a NP203 chain.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the best way is by length. the way i tell is by side-to-side slop.

if you plan on keeping the truck, just replace the chain. mine in my NP208 was smoked after a "mere" 80k miles. i mean severe slipping. it slipped periodically at the 63k mark. when i put the lockers in at the 85k mark it slipped religiously.

National Drivetrain has NP208/NP241 GM chains for $93.

if it didn't slip i'd keep it around for a spare. they never break to my knowledge, they slip long before. you might run across a spare case with a bad chain someday.

7. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Here's what I found for future reference. None of the local parts places (checker, autozone, pepboys) had anything. Some of the local 4x4 shops (4wheeler Supply & 4 Wheel Parts) carried or could order the generic "Motive Gear" chains for $80-90. Best deal I found was from Nationaldrivetrain.com for an actual Morse chain and was $95 plus shipping. This should be the same exact one the dealership orders. With second day air it was still under $130 which is a heck of a lot better than the dealer's $230 plus tax. Hopefully they ship me the right one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Appreciate the help guys.