Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to identify exhaust leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, May 26, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am just curisouse if here is an easy way to tell if my exhasut leak is coming from the Manifold to the block, or the donut gasket from the manifold to the downpipe?
    Thanks,
    Ike

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

IMHO.. I would get new gasket's all around. Instead of waisting my time looking for an exhaust leak. The gaskets don't cost that much ether.

3. 86blazerk5

I agree accept i am trying to do this stuff myself and i dont have the tools to do a lot of it. i can probably do the Manafold gaskets. But i doont think i can bust the nuts on the donut gaskets. Dont you usualy have to put a torch on them to get them free. I will see what i can do. Thanks for the reply

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I didn't have to use a torch on mine.. Use some PB Blaster or Liquid wrench. Let it sit for a bit,and they should come free.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Get some one to hold a rolled up rag over the end of the exhaust pipe with the motor running. The extra back pressure will make it easy to hear where it's leaking from. Did this on my wifes car to find the leak at the doughnut gasket. You could take it to midas muffler for their free exhaust check. They'll put it up on the hoist and check it all out and tell you what needs replacing. Then I took it home and changed the bad gasket.

6. 86blazerk5

Ok I will have to try liquid wrench or PB balster. Do you buy that at any auto parts store...? I may take it to midas have them tell me whats up and then determin if i can just fix it myself or not.. Thanks again.
    Ike