Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to inquire about going to mechanics school.. have questions..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rocko, Oct 8, 2003.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I'm probably going to get out of the Army come January.. I want to look into a career field of auto mechanics.. I have money from the Army to send me to school, so what would be my best route?
    Community college with job placement?
    A place that will hire me and send me to school?

I'm a military veteran.. 14+ years.. will that help me get hired on?

ANY guidance would be greatly appreciated..
    My goal is to get hired on at a dealership.. and work for GM..

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Go to wyotech. My brother went there and he loved it. He had like 20 job offers all over the country before he graduated. Its a good school. Not only do they teach you how to work on cars and stuff but they teach you busines skills that you might need working for GM. If you have any more questions about wyotech PM me and Ill call him and ask.

Nick

3. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

WyoTech is a great universal automotive school

Universal Technical Institute is also a great school. they have diesel, collision/refinishing, and even have a NASCAR program, and a hot rod section sponsered by Hot Rod mag. they also have several very specivic techical programs for all the German cars (big $$$), and International.

if you wanna work for GM, the only techical GM programs i've seen are at community colleges.

edit: i just saw your from Round Rock. UTI has campus's all over the nation. they have one in Houston, Arizona, etc. etc.

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yea i think my bro was going to go to uti in houston ut he said he didnt want to live in houston because its a bad town. But thats a good school too

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I also say WYO Tech. I went there after High School. Stay for the business classes. I didnt get a job when I graduated, but that was because Desert Storm had just ended and the economy was poor. There is TONS of wheelin' in Wyoming too!!

I also think that having military service helps, esp. since you have 14 years.

Rob

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a military veteran.. 14+ years..

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, come on Charlie! You got under 6 years left to finish and get a retirement check every month til you're dead. Be nice to have that extra check every month along with your new job. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Universal Technical Institute is also a great school.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats where im at right now i start this monday at the one in Glendale Heights, IL and if your looking for one in a nice area this is the one...its a nice area but i haven't found much to do...but it would be cool to have another CK5er here...talk to MuddySub hes at the one in Pheonix...but what ever you choose to do good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I went to a local Vocational collage, I learned a ton of stuff, I took the diesel & heavy equ. training. I have lots of friends that went to WYO tech. they seem to have a good knowlage base, and you can go back to them for training in the future.
    Just make sure to remeber you get out of it what you put into it, I have met some real DA that have taken the courses as well. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I went thru the GM ASEP program. Basically an apprenticeship thru GM dealership. Not many colleges participate in the program and you need a sponsoring GM dealership. 2 yr program, 60-70 credits and get an associates degree. 52 weeks in school, 52 at the dealer.

In theroy you go to school for 8-12 weeks and learn, say driveability, and then you goto the dealer and work in that field for 8-12 weeks. Can be pretty intense, 16 credits in a 8-12 week span. When you graduate you have a job lined up, well if you good enough. Know a few who were fired after graduation, or didn't complete the course.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i went to a votech school for an automotive program and now i work for a ford dealer..its an ok job except for the pay... civilian companies like hiring veterans and the like because who knows why...but any of those schools that concentrate on training are a good idea..

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Muddysub is going to UTI (Universal Technical Institute). It is one of the premier auto schools in the country. They have campuses in a few locations. You might PM him about his schooling and stuff.

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Try to get on at a G.M. dealership then. G.M. has several Superb Training center's scattered across the U.S. that's where I started my fine career. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G.M. Godly Maintenance. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif