Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to install a 14 bolt ff into a 1991 Ifs truck?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by mudddog91, May 30, 2002.

1. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey has anyone tried to install an early model 14 bolt ff into a late model truck?Ive been told by many that they are too narrow and I need to find one from a van but I cant do that.......Ive alreadygotten the narrrow 14 bolt.Im thinking of maybe moving the springs under the frame .......Anyone done this or seen it done?Pics would be great!Help?Anyone?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Never done it, and yes it will be roughly 4'' too narrow. Why would you move the springs inward when it is so easy to move just the perches? If you are set on using this axle, wheel spacers are available to get the correct (or more desireable) width. Just my $.02

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Well if I move the springs inboard to sit under the frame i will end up with about 4-6 inches of lift with stock springs!Talk about flex!!!!!!!!!!!!PLus ive already got a 74 1 ton with all the goodies and im building this 91 for a dedicated trail rig so i think the extra work involved will pay off big when its all said and done!IM just trying to find someone thats done the solid axle swap and has used the chevy dana 60 as well as the early style 14 bolt and would love to see pics and any advice would be killer!Ive already got the dana 60 hanging from the springs in the front which are actually stock rear 52" springs from a 3/4 ton.Man someone out there has done crazy shiit to there ifs truck..............Like im doing!

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Holy cow I figured there would be some hardcore late model chevy guys in here but I guess i was wrong! No one in this whole forum has done a solid axle swap on their Ifs trucks?And if so no one has done it without the kit?Ive been a user of the 2nd generation CK5 forum and was hoping to find the same caliber of people in here but oh well,guess Ill go back to that forum and ask there!

5. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

Your installing a Chevy D60 in the front of yours? I don't have a IFS truck, yet anyway, but I've heard you have to use the Ford D60 with driver side diff for it to work. If the Chevy D60 works let me know.

6. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to put a Ford style D60 in the front of my '96 GMC. Just recently met a guy that had a '93 Crew -Cab with a chevy D60 on coils in the front! Awesome truck!!
    He had a divorced 205 for a T-case. But in the rear he had a dually style 14 bolt with spacers and single wheels to get the right width. It looked great!! Just an option for you to consider.

7. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

hey If you are still stuck on this truck ??? call me,,I have a 93 blazer w/dana 60, 14-blt rear,,I moved the spring perches on my rear end.also addding disc brakes,if you want i have these brake kits cheap$$$$$new or used,,I do straiught axle conversion often

8. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

The only reason to installa ford axle is if you keep the tranny and transfer case.I ditched the 700r and np 241 in favor of an sm465 and 203/205 doubler............and there it is,keepin a chevy ALL chevy!!!!!!!!!!No ford parts here!