Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to Install a Outside Tire Carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77blazin, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

How do you install a new Outside Tire Carrier? I saw some here on CK5, but they are installed to the steel bumper, I have one that screws to the side of the corner panel, What do I have to do to put the bolts on?..
    I'd sure like to get those bumper type carriers but I don't think 4x4 Iron is making these anymore.
    Any help would do?
    Mike:dunno:

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

try blazenoffroad.com

also check the vendor forum there are a few out there

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]The ones that bolt onto the 1/4 panel are made by Valley. they are no longer made. I have put them on a couple trucks including my 89. There are brackets made from 1/4 plate metal that is treaded for the "nuts" and pre-bent to fit inside the 1/4 panel. If you don't have them, you WILL stress the 1/4 panel. If you take the tail lamp housing out, you gain access to the inner panels.

5. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Install a Outside Tire Carrier

BaBlazer73,
    Hey Thanks for the info on the Valley Outside Tire Carriers:bow: , I have two of them waiting to be put on the 76 and 78 blazer, I have the inner brackets included in the kit (The one with the long rod extending from the middle of the brackets) I could never figure out what was that for.:confused:
    Both are brand new in their boxes, I never thought that going through the taillight lens hole was how to do it, I thought I had to cut out one of the supports, that would suck.:hack:
    One more question, Whats the size tire that can max out on these carriers without weakening the quarter panel?:1zhelp:
    Mike

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had a 31 with a steel rim on my 76, it made the 1/4 panel sag, but it wasn't 100% metal anyways. The top of the 1/4 tipped in. I guess the key is to make sure the part on the tailgate itself will "lift" the carrier up. thats what I did on my 87 with the same tire. worked better. I have a bald 33" on an 15x7 aluminum rim for the 89.