Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to install harmonic balancer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 5, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'm putting my new motor together and have a few ???'s about the damper. Can I install it by using the bolt that holds it to the crankshaft? Can I just use an impact driver to drive the damper on or should I go get a harmonic balancer installation tool? Also, regarding the timing tabs. GM supplied two with my new motor. I assume they are for two different size dampers. I've figured out which one to use, but when installed and I have the TDC mark on the damper and timing tab lined up, TDC is at about 2 o'clock. On my old motor, the timing tab was spot welded to the timing cover, and TDC is closer to 12 o'clock. It looks like I would have been pretty f*cked up if I had re-used my old damper. What gives?
    I know these are probably dumb questions, but like I learned in boot camp, the only stupid question is the one not asked. (that's what they SAY, but God forbid you should open your mouth and ask a truly stupid question. That will earn you a trip to the quarterdeck, fo' sho'! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

I also got two little steel dowel pins with the motor. They are about 3/8" long and two different diaeters. One is 3/8" and the other 5/16" (I think, I'll measure them with my mike when I get back downstairs) WTF are these for? I love the one sheet of instructions they give you too, all full of misspelled words. Well, the motor was hecho en Mexico....

Please be prepared for more questions as I finish doing my first engine swap in these next few days.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The bolt isn't long enough. If you try to pull the balancer onto the shaft with it, you'll strip the threads out of the end of the crank. Whatever you do, DO NOT hammer it into place. That can ruin the thrust bearing and screw up your new engine. Use the correct tool. You'll be glad you did. If there is an Autozone near you, they will loan you the tool for free. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I can't help you much with the other stuff, other than GM used two different locations for the timing mark over the years. But I don't know the particulars off the top of my head.

3. mofugly13

Thanks, I think Kragen still does free rentals too. It's just a few blocks away, but I was eager to get it on NOW, so that's why I asked. Don't worry, I won't hammer it on. I don't like the cheesy stamped timing tab they supplied. I'd like to paint it, but make the timing marks still stand out. I already used a paint pen to fill the timing mark on the damper, it looks pretty sharp. Maybe I'll buy one of those Spectre chrome tabs while I'm at Kragen tomorrow, the chrome should be god for 5-10 more hp. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Use a BFH and pound the dampner on till it won't move no more, no sweat! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Seriously, the best way to install the dampner and the cheapest way is to go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of fine threaded ready rod and nut and use your factory thick washer and pull it on tight. Cost is cheap and you can reuse the rod again for another day. I hoped this helped! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mofugly13

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna get the tool from Kragen. I figured out what the dowel pins are for. On goes into the flexplate end of the crankshaft to locate the flexplate. The other goes in the dipstick hole on the side of the block where you don't want the dipstick. I plugged the passenger side hole and kept my dipstick on the drivers side like the original motor. A lead hammer helped persuade these puppies into their respective holes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif