Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to install transmission temperature gauge?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blaze, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I just bought an AutoMeter transmission temperature gauge for my 92 Yukon. It is a 350/700R4 truck. How do I install this thing? Someone told me that I need to fabricate a box to go inline with the cooling tubes, but another person told me that there is a place I can plug the sensor in the side of the tranny. Does anybody know the easiest way to do it? Thanks!

2. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Blaze,
    There are tons of opinions on this...I suggest a search for finding out all of the options.

Personally, I put the sender in my transmissions pan. I added a drain, then found a VDO sender that is used as the plug for the drain. I mounted the sender on the side of the pan for clearance, and have not had any problems....good luck!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Danny

3. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I have had both inline with cooler line and side of tranny. I like the side of the tranny better and it is easier. Make sure you use teflon tape on the threads and DO NOT put the sensor in toooooo far. I did it and had to buy another sending unit.
    My tranny goes between 150* and 180*.
    Be sure you install a aftermarket cooler also. I use a
    19,000 GVW from B&M. It is the same as factory.
    Also, when installing the cooler, you mount it on it's side. That way the air doesn't get stuck in there.
    The return will be on top like the radiator cooler.
    If any other questions, please PM me.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I am going to install a cooler as soon as I get the cash. I'm probably going to install the cooler and flush the system at the same time.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Diagnostic port just about the shifter input of the tranny. This is where the "pros" check for proper pressures and temperatures. It gets fluid coming right from the clutch packs which is about the hottest you are going to get, and most accurate of what's happening inside the tranny (where it matters). Putting it in the pan or cooler lines will work too. You will find "normal" operating range and then keep an eye on it. If it starts rising rapidly you know there is an issue. It's better than not having any at all.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

pic 1 pic 2

Those are pics of my Autometer sending unit. If you do a search, you'll find people have them in the pan, tranny-to-radiator line, radiator-to-tranny line, and the port as mentioned above. I feel that the pan and the diagnostic port are the best options. Just my opinion though, someone else may say otherwise.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going to go with the diagnostic port. I'm going to install a new stereo in the dash and make a guage bracket out of polished stainless for the hole where the old stereo was. That should look pretty trick! Thanks for the help, fellas! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I hope that port is 1/4" PIPE THREAD. If so, you'll be allright. And, I agree with the pipe tape around the threads to seal it up, but you may want to read the instructions over once. For some reason I want to say that the sender has to be grounded - which is why I didn't tape mine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I can always JB Weld like you did. JB and I (I can call it JB, we are close) are good friends. I use that stuff on everything. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the fitting is not the correct size (although it should be), you can get reducers/enlargers at NAPA. I believe they are NPT threads and should not need sealant. I would try it without (as it may need a ground plane). If it leaks then you can fix it. As stated the instructions should tell you if you need any or not. If they don't say anything at all, I would try without first. But then again, you can do whatever floats your boat.

11. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am going to the same thing on my '87....where is this diagnostic port? Should the sender thread right in? Could I do this without having to drain the tranny fluid?

12. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I put a B&M unit in my 91 sub. The instructions said the critical temp is the temp of the fluid DOING the cooling, not the temp on it's way out (Not saying it's right or wrong, just B&M's spin on it.) That was confirmed by the local tranny shoppe as well and I went with the return line. My temps read MUCH lower than those posted (possibly too cool?), but sooner or later will add another sensor into the port or pan to watch the diff between before & after. Just my $$00.02 worth (a pre-tax figure i might add)