Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to install WARN hubs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

OK friends. Here's some tid-bits on how to install WARN hubs as a replacement for your auto-hubs. I did this last night on my 88K5. These were the Premium WARN's but I'd image the standard ones are identical in the install. One thing they don't tell you is how to remove all the old stuff before you put in the new stuff. BTW: I was impressed by the heavy-duty stock auto-hubs. I'll write these steps for folks like myself (i.e. beginners) who have never gotten further than that nice 4x4 emblem on the outside of the auto-hubs...

PARTS: Non other than the stuff in the WARN box
    REQUIRED TOOLS: Needle nose pliers, torx driver (sorry forgot what size, but screw-driver will work since you won't be putting them back in), 7/16 allen key, plenty of shop rags (for the tons of grease you'll be wiping off your hands.)
    OPTIONAL TOOLS: Snap ring plyers (I would highly recommend these), and a jack (for testing after install)
    TOTAL PROJECT TIME: 15 minutes

1) With the torx bit remove the outer auto-hub cover
    2) Remove small metal key over large keeper-ring (or whatever they call it) on outter most part of auto-hub assembly.
    2) Use the needle nose plyers and squeeze the ring while grabbing the auto-hub assembly and it slides right out.
    3) Remove snap-ring from axel (really small needle nose can work here if you pull the handles apart and yank).
    4) Remove washer from axel.

OK. All that stuff you took out can go into a box or something. you won't need it unless you want to reinstall those auto-hubs. Wipe off your now greasy hands...

5) Slide new WARN assemply into axel.
    6) Install new keeper ring (or whatever they call it). (Assembly should jiggle in and out a little bit)
    7) Install axel snap-ring (helps to push axel from behind so it doesn't push back in).
    8) Make sure chrome cover is in "free" position and install with 6 bolts using allen key.

That's it! Jack up that side, spin the tire, and make sure there isn't any noise. Then turn that hub to LOCK and make sure it spins the drive-shaft. Repeat on the other side and you're done. Make sure you remember to un-lock both new hubs.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone can comment on the difference of model years, but my 88 was a breeze to do and only took 15 minutes. I can't stress enough to go buy a set of lock-ring plyers. Would have helped tremendously!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

2. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Congrads!
    those auto hub covers make for a
    decent set of outdoor ashtrays [​IMG]

3. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

hey! another thing ...
    you should also repack your
    bearings while you have the autos
    removed.

i didn't [​IMG]
    next on my list...

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On 85 models the axel will not accept the snap ring, and the directions state that you don't need it

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I need to replace a busted lug in the front anyway so I'll just re-pack then.

Good idea on those outside ashtrays. Always need a place to flick my cigar ashes...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com