Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to keep a 5000 lb Monster from being stolen???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Mar 20, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

How do you guys keep your Monsters from being stolen, like when you go shopping, or to the store, or anywhere that you have to leave your truck parked for more than 5 minutes, cause they will take it if you give them 5 minutes, I just bought an Autolock would this work for me, I have a 73 with a soft top and ever since I put my soft top on it's 1000 % easier to open my truck

2. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I put a flashing light under the dash I got from my Logitech Optical mouse box lol

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i usually put the xcase in neutral with the shifter in gear(this only works if your parking brake is good working condition) and the tiltwheel down and the seat all the way forward and throw the club on. it'll keep someone busy for a while...

ARQ.

4. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Yeap that sounds like a good idea... but my parking brake doesn't work lol, so back to the drawing board.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lotta things you might try, and a combination of them would prolly be best.

1) an alarm. sure, real car theives no how to disarm them, but if u r within earshot (like inside ur house) then it might help.

2) removeable steering wheel. make it tough to steer. If the theif knows you have this they may be able to bring their own and defeat it, but theyd prolly just rather steal your neighbors first.

3) wheel locks. self explanatory.

4) detachable face stereo and hidden or very well secured amps/speakers.

5) starter disconnect switch. If *well* hidden, this might help.

6) brake pedal lock. better than the club (how hard is it to cut through a steering wheel? not very!)

7) the family dog. Spot can smell a thief 100 yards away.

8) dont blare your stereo anywhere near YOUR neighborhood...

9) have a motion sensing light on your driveway, bright one, with the sensor area within range of your rig. No theif likes to work under a spot light.

10) low jack. good way to track down where ur rig has gone if it does manage to get stolen.

11) you could prolly rig up a anti-slim-jim gizmo in your doors. Couldn't be that hard, block off its ability to get down inside there and you could stop one of the easier ways theives get in.

12) put a cover over your rig at night. One with a cable lock on it. Heck, the comotion of getting it off or cutting it might be enough to set of the alarm, motion sensing lights, or your dog. Whats more, the theif has no idea if you have a stereo worth stealing or not... he/she might want a sure thing instead.

hmmm, thats all I can think of for now... any 1 else have any idears?

J

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well,
    I've never thought of this happening to me. is that sad or what... basically people don't steal cars in Vermont. They steal tractors LOL...I more than likely wont do anything more than just locking my doors when I get out.

our '01 has an alarm- but you have to double lock the doors to arm it- I think we have maybe 4 times- but those 4 times were in Connecticut....which I wont be taking the K5 to anyway.

do you guys really have people in your towns/cities that would steal it from your own DRIVEWAY? thats just freaky. I think in my neighborhood- there is probably close to 25 cars that are not in a garage- and I'd say 24 of those are unlocked- and pretty darn close to 15 of them have the keys in the ignition. 50 houses- 49 doors unlocked during the day- probably 25 with doors unlocked at night... 1 person here goes on vacation, leaves their doors unlocked. its kind of nice living here!

Brandy

7. buknbronco78

buknbronco78 Registered Member

Take your coil wire off and make sure everything inside is locked down or hidden. Worked for my 79 Bronco without door handles or top.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well I"m in a town of 200,000 and stuff does get stolen, if the removable steering wheel is too much you might just install on board air if your not in a hurry when you park your truck and buy some kind of electric/ phenmatic valves and when you shut the truck off all your tires go flat, this is a good system for when you start aging as well, lowers your truck a few inches, should make it easier to get in and out, harder to steel your rims, and real hard to drive the truck even if they get it started

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Use a hidden kill switch. Or if you have an electric fuel pump, put a switch on that too. My next plan is either a battery disconnect system, fuel pump switch, or a series of kill switches. I want to get a set of 7 toggle switches (hooked to the power line to the distrubutor), hook them up to each other in a pattern that only I would know, and when you get out of the truck, flip all the switches in one dirrection, that way if a thief got in, it would take him along time to figure out the pattern you would need to start the truck. This is assuming that he even realizes that is what the switch panel is used for.

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Hoss, I like that idea other than you'd have to really hide the incoming and outgoing wires, otherwise it would be useless

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Uhh, in Los Angeles, they'd steal your car from underneath your bed while you were in it.

I have a kill switch thing that is inside my tuffy security console. If somehow they flipped the switch, it'll drive 10 feet then act like it's outa gas. So it'd be in the middle of the road. Dead. Big, ugly and dead.

And I'm getting a LoJack, hopefully off the group buy thing.

12. Hossbaby50

If you put it up high in the dash, that way it would be hard to get to the wires and bypass the switches. The only other problem with this system is if your thief is knowledgeable about HEI ignitions, and figured out you had a kill switch all he would have to do is pop the hood, and cut the wires running into the cab from the distributor and splice them together and he is gone. But that is a lot of trouble and time, both of which most car thieves won't deal with. Another idea I have always liked, is scents I don't smoke, is to hollow out the cigarette lighter, and hide a kill switch behind that. How many car thives would think to look for a kill switch behind your cigarette lighter. The last idea i have is simple, but could be affective. I have MSD ignition, so I have hot lines from my battery. I have thought about putting a toggle switch inline with the power lines. Possibly hiding the switch under the radiator overflow canister.

P.S. If I get home, and my truck is gone, someone here is in for a beat down./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

13. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

I've heard of people hooking car batteries up so a thief would be shocked if he touched the car.

Also, you can setup a smoke generator, or cs gas, to go off when the car alarm does so the entire inside becomes to clowdy to be in.

Cotton mouth snake on the floorboard would do the trick.

You could buy a bunch of those fake bullet hole and broken glass stickers and place them on your truck when you retire for the day.

Hire some homeless guy to lay beside your truck with a fake knife wound to his neck and wearing a sign that says "This is the last fu**** that tried to steal my truck".

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I leave the keys in it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Nobody wants to steal mine, unless you rock crawl, but be prepared to get pulled over really quickly. Just look at it http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo74/aai

15. I never lock my Burb unless I have some of my personal stuff inside like tools and it hasn't been touched in over 4 years. I could just see someone stealing an 88 Burb with 15 inches of lift, custom paint, lots of lights, and huge tires, sure wouldn't take long to spot it !!

16. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Man right here in LA they'll take your truck or car even if you're sleeping in it, I have a friend that somebody stole his quad from inside his locked garage that's how bad it is right here, that's why I'm concerned it's not that I have a $50.000 truck but it's mine and if somebody wants it they better come prepared with either enough money or a gun.

17. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I live in Torrance, CA. About 1/2 hour from downtown LA and I just had a nieghbor who got his truck stolen from his driveway last week. Funny thing is that it was an older S10 pickup that didn't look all that great. Go figure/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

My truck is so loud when you start it that it usually wakes up the neighbors when i leave in the morning so I'm not really worried. Plus my dogs sleep within 25 feet of it and those 2 are LOUD. I also put the t-case in neautral and the club on so if they were to start it and put it in drive and step on the throttle they would go NOWHERE unless they knew to put it in park first to get the t-case out of neutral. By that time I should have my 9 locked and cocked and in their face/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. MR.GADGET

MR.GADGET Registered Member

If you have EFI or elec fuel pump you can put a switch on the ground and hide it. She will not run without fuel!!!! Mr. Gadget

19. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Definately a flashing klight or two will deter and a cut off system of some sort ....... Also, remember, a theif steals what he/she can see ....................... Hiding or removing items is half the battle !

20. Hossbaby50

Go ahead and leave the keys in it unlocked, I won't take it I swear. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif