Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to keep mud out of bead

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jan 4, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

last wheeling trip i aired down to 15 psi, while out there darkshadow pointed out i had a leaky bead on the left rear. after driving around a while it stoped leaking. at the gas station while airing up my right front was leaking.

i drove home thinking it would go away, well it didn't. i took the tire to my buddy who has a tire machine, broke it down and there was mud all over the bead. this was last monday, yesterday i went out and the 3 other tires are very soft with the left rear totally flat. i suspect i have mud on those beads also.

this was the first time i aired down in mud and now i don't want to do it again. is there anyway i can keep the mud out so i don't have to take the tire off and clean the bead everytime?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could try siliconing the beads...and not airing down as much, although a nice big footprint in the snow is a big help.

Rene

3. big83chevy4x4

arn't they a pain to dismount though? what kinda silicone?

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I think you were just unlucky. I never had a problem with mine.

And I air way down. 15psi is where I start at before airing down.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

This is a pretty common problem on most our trailrides that involve at least some muddy ruts. About everybody in our club has to breakdown their tires at least a couple times a year to clean the bead out. Our club is actually talking about buying a bead breaker for the club members to use.

I never run more than 15 lbs. in my tires and get all types of mud and wood (from rubbing against trees and roots) crammed in the bead, but rarely have one starting leaking really bad, usually it's just a small leak like a couple pounds a week.

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Thats what I meant too... doesnt everyones Swampers do that... well at least those that are used?

:cool1:

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

What tire wheel combo are you running? Sounds to me like you have 16.5 rims or a rim that is two wide for the tire.

I never run over 15psi in any of my tires...even on the road. Usualy in the 3-5psi range in summer, 1-2 psi range in winter and don't have any problem with leaking beads.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Beadlocks :d

9. big83chevy4x4

i have 35 12.5 15 on 10" wide wheels, they are reverse wheels.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i've never aired down for mud TJ.even in winter, i don't want to lose height in some of the deep ruts from 44's. oh by the by i'm off now woo hoo.:D

11. big83chevy4x4

the traction is unbelievable when I aired down there, i only lost maybe 1/2" in height. ive never aired down in mud before this but now i definetely will. i think the main reason this happened is because of the ruts, but i could be wrong

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just plain mud is not the problem, it's running in deep ruts where the side of the tire and rim are crammed against the side of the rut and dig in.

A friend of mine has the same tires but runs 8" wide rims, while I have 10's, and he doesn't have as much of a problem with it.

Airing down in mud, or any any loose surface, really helps traction.

13. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

10" wide rims on a 12.5...thats your problem :frown1:

The reverse shells should help but obviously not enough. I would try glue them on...or get a set of 8" ers.

I never realy understood why people feel they need 10 inch wheels on 12.5's. After you air down the tires footprint lays out the same nomater what. The only time I can think of you needing a combo like that is if you are running high speed stuff and must keep the tire aired up.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Beadlocks are the solution. :grin:

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree, even though I'm currently running 10" wide rims on 13" wide tires. The main reason I did it was to keep the tires sticking out further to help save the body a little more (at least at the time.....it's beat up pretty bad now anyways). My buddy just put a set of 42" TSL's mounted on 15x8, 2.5" BS rims on his '78 F-250 trail truck (no lift, either!). It looks like it's going to be a nice setup.