Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to keep mud out of wheel wells.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgetruck91, Jul 9, 2004.

1. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

I was just going to see if any one has any creative ways to keep the mud that sprays off ur tires out of the wheel well section in front of the rear tires, that is almost impossible to completely clean. I was thinking a shield of some type made out of sheet metal but was wondering if there is anyone else who built other contraptioins?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Pam cooking spray...

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pam cooking spray...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep what he said

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pam cooking spray...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep what he said

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif really?? are you guys serious?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hell ya it works good that waht we used on the sprint car all the mud came right of between heats

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Pam cooking spray...

[/ QUOTE ]

yep what he said

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif really?? are you guys serious?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

keeps food from sticking to a hot pan right? Why not wheel wells /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

But yeah it works... if you have a big tub of petrolium jelly (vasoline) you could use that too, but the cooking sprays spray on /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hmmm........vasoline and pam cooking spray, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifim sorry it just sounds funny. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif But i have no doubt it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Or you guys could just be saying that ....... HEY!!! Whos that wierdo with K-Y jelly, vasoline, and pam cooking spray smeared all down the side of the truck!!! FREAK!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifjacob

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Pam cooking Oil will work, but I have found that WD-40 works better. That is what I have always used on my dirt stock cars and the mud don't stick.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Under coat it. Then the stuff will all right off once it dries. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've read in off road magazines some folks spray the underside of their rigs with either raw linseed oil or boiled linseed oil(available at paint stores)and it works great to keep mud and other crud from sticking--supposedly doesnt wash off easily,so you dont need to re-apply it that often--they say it helps keep the rust from forming too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If your tires are huge, and/or you are lifted, this might not work...

Go find big mud flaps from a semi.

Cut them so that they cover that area in the front of the wheelwell. If you make them right, you bolt them in using the factory bolts along the top. At the bottom, where the little metal rod holds the lower edge of the sheetmetal in place, if the flap is cut just right, the bolt threads that are sticking through will hold the mudflap in place.

Had that setup on my truck for about 3 years now, and haven't ever had a problem with it coming loose. Even after driving through rain, mud, whatever, that area now stays almost entirely dry.

I'm going to do exactly the same thing for the rear of the wheelwell, since I can see that the hinge area is starting to rust. Only problem with the rear is that there aren't bolts in the same areas.

The beauty of these is that you can't even see them from anywhere except inside the wheelwell.

I've been eyeballing the newer truck wheelwells (Dodge especially) and I've been wondering if those molded plastic pieces could be utilized.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've also seen some local mud runners use those roll up toboggans kids slide on in the snow for wheel well liners,cheap to buy at wal-mart--they are made of a sheet of polyurethane plastic--very similar to the stuff they use factory on the dodge trucks you mentioned. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Around here I've seen people put diesel into a deck sprayer and hit some of the underbelly with that to keep mud off... only problem is that it stinks like hell and last time I checked diesel wasn't a good fertilizer for surrounding plantlife /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've read in off road magazines some folks spray the underside of their rigs with either raw linseed oil or boiled linseed oil(available at paint stores)and it works great to keep mud and other crud from sticking--supposedly doesnt wash off easily,so you dont need to re-apply it that often--they say it helps keep the rust from forming too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would probably work okay for a bit. But once the linseed oil starts to dry, it's really sticky. I painted the front of my house with my dad last year with linseed oil, around July, and a year later it's still a bit sticky. It takes forever to completely dry.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cooking spray works pretty good. I used to use it on my quad all the time. Regular Armor All works almost as good. What seems to work really good is that spray-on tire shine.

17. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Around here I've seen people put diesel into a deck sprayer and hit some of the underbelly with that to keep mud off... only problem is that it stinks like hell and last time I checked diesel wasn't a good fertilizer for surrounding plantlife /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Spray the bottom of my truck with a flammable liquid? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Sorry, not for me...

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Would the cooking oil or linseed oil damage paint?

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't think they would. If cooking oil would damage paint, you would have to ask what is it damaging inside your body.

20. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think they would. If cooking oil would damage paint, you would have to ask what is it damaging inside your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

What scares me though is that people burn it in deisel engines/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif