Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to Keep the K5 Warm in the Winter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nitrodrip350, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

Well My Heater Sucks, It works OK but I really don't have much to insulate the interior or the engine (No Carpet or Inner Fenders) So it takes forever for her to warm up. I have been looking at the 12 Volt heaters by Vector and other companies and just wondered who had experience with these? Had the "Back Seat Heat" Heater made for Jeeps and tried two and neither would work? Any Ideas keeping warm in Colorado ... fast!!!

Thanks, Shane /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well flex-a-lite makes a Mojave heater /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif also some of the suburbans had an auxilary heater monted in the back on the opposite side of where the spare tire well is on a burb /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Nitrodrip350

I was looking at that in Summit Racing Cat. Looks pretty good for the price. Forgot about that .... thanks

Shane-

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Go to a junk yard and find an old ambulance, in the back in the roof right behind the driver you will find the highest output heater I have ever seen. These things will heat up the back of the truck in about 3-4 minutes from dead cold and will easily keep the truck at a toasty 90 degrees on sub zero day. All you willk need to do is run + and - and 2 heater hoses to it and I doubt you would take much of a hit in the wallet from the yard.

5. Nitrodrip350

That's what I'm talkin about! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any use of another car from a junk yard is always my first choice. Thanks for the info.

Shane-

6. 99firehawk

Actually, I thik I have one at work how much would it be worth to ya?

7. Nitrodrip350

Nice I like how you work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Matters if I can find one at the junkyard, there are a lot of emergency vehicles around here just never looked for heaters in one?! So this is a fully enclosed unit? Just like a remote heater core so to say? If you have one shoot me an email on what you want for her. Sounds promising though... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Shane-

8. Nitrodrip350

Does it look like this? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif [​IMG]

9. 99firehawk

fot the most part yea let me see if i can find a pic of the actual unit

10. Nitrodrip350

Cool yeah let me know ... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Shane-

11. 99firehawk

http://www.aev.com/files/lt-2.jpg its out of one of these, its Im guessing about 22x13x8 it pretty big but will cook your a$$ with no probelm.
    Its behind the vent panel, the vent panel is not part of the unit.

12. Nitrodrip350

Looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just wonder how I can mount it? Hmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Well let me sleep on it and see if you have it, that is pretty big to ship also. So to wire it is just a basic + and - and a toggle switch I guess right? Does it have multiple speeds, can it just be a fan w/o the heat in the summer time, can I mow my lawn with it!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif OK enough I need some sleep. Just let me know when you find out, thanks for the good idea!

Later, Shane

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I keep most of the radiator blocked off in the winter, as super cooling just isn't required when it's 15 degrees out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Also be sure that you're running a 195 degree thermostat. That makes a BIG difference in heater output. Your biggest problem is gonna be the lack of carpet and insulation. 15 degree air, blasting past all that sheetmetal at 50+ MPH is just sucking the heat out of the cab like it's a giant heat sink. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Even a rubber floor mat tossed in the cab would help.

I even went so far as to install R-13 house insulation in the rear sidewalls of a Blazer I had when I lived in Salt Lake many years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Anything you can do to retain heat inside the truck will make the heaters job that much easier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you're running side panels in the back, you can also use some closed cell foam (think 1/2-inch thick, $6 camping pad from Walmart! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) and a can of 3M spray adhesive to put on the sidewalls in the back. Closed cell foam won't absorb water, so you don't have to worry about it once it's installed and it has nice insulating properties. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

maybe pick up a few hundred buck pickup for winter driving ?
    dunno.

someof the full size 70's G20 passenger vans had rear heat, i should have saved the system from the 77 G20 van i last cut up for its drivetrain but i didnt, i also once had an a/c heater system from trunk of a 79 caddy limo i drove to here for its drivetrain once, but i ended up scrapping it too, could not find use or home for it,

too bad though

good luck

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my6 friend had a 12 volt heater hooked up under his dash as well as the stock heater.he would kick on the extra heater until his truck warmed up.that little thing put out quite a bit of heat for what it was.

17. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

I would check out your original system. Like your heater core. You might need a new one. Over the years you can get build up on the inside of the tubes causing less flow thus less heat. The fins on the heater coil could also be plugged with crud and leaves etc...

I have a '77, granted I have make shift carpet but my firewall has numerous holes in it but I have to turn my heat down to half way or else I'm toasted out.

I know about Colorado cold. Hell I'm up here in Montana. We get wind chills below well below 0.

What ever works, good luck.

ML...
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my suburban had the "artic package" with the rear heater.... it would smoke the interior in a couple of minutes....
    school bus under seat heaters kick butt because of the big blowers....
    ambulance as suggested is also good... but youll probably find more buses junked up in the trucking yards
    cam

19. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Okay....this is way out there but...the military did make some outside heavy cloth...blanket like panels for the M1009's aka CUCV's...Blazers...held on with snaps that twist like the winter fronts on semi's

I see them for sale occasionaly on ebay.

DW

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'll have to check that out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif