Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to keep the liquids in your 4X4 when you put it on it's side

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, May 2, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Lately I have managed to put my Beater K5 on it's side several times and I always have problems with losing my tranny fluid because it runs out of the dipstick tube. I would like to not contaminate if it can be avoided and it is also a potential fire hazard so please share your tips and tricks for keeping fluids in your truck at these situations.

Thanks!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What about a locking dipstick from a newer truck . I found one here on CK5 for my 700r4 . I betcha someone make one for a th350 too . I need one myself for a th350 .

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

A TH400 stick will work also . the newer ones lock .

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, found a locking one in a junkyard from a 88+ pickup. Matched it against mine (700r4), and the fluid level lines were in the exact same spot. Use it and have never had a problem. Granted I havent rolled it...yet...

Other fluid orifices should be OK for a few minutes, as they are pretty much sealed off

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Another vote for a trans lock stick. I'll be gettin gone for my 700. I checked it against my 4L60E in my 97, and yes it is exact, as I suspected. I just have not made the run to the junkyard to get one yet.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Anybody found a fix for the oil dipstick and the tranny vent hole?

7. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We run all of our vent lines to the air cleaner. It works as a good vent and then if you do roll hopefully they just drain to the motor. helps to make that nice blue smoke thing happen longer.
    It's worked well the couple of times I have had the buggyon the side but I have not had it end up on it's lid yet so I don't know about that.
    Just make sure to run all things gear oil seperate from things that have ATF in them.
    Of the two times that I have had to sit on the side for a period of time I only had motor oil coming out the dipstick tube once and I just put a plastic bag under the drip with a bit of dirt in it.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have put mine on its side a few times al the tranny fluid poors out like crazy, need the lock DS.
    Other thing is out of the PS resivour, since the cap is vented it leaks out also, not sure what can be dont for that.

As for the tranny vent and t-case vent one of these days I will get some fuel line and make a loop in it with a filter on the end so no matter what position your in it will never leak.

Havent ever had much motor oil drip out.