Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to kill a truck battery? Stupid Hi-Lo O'Reilly

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Jun 27, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How to kill a truck battery? Stupid Hi-Lo O\'Reilly

I have a problem with my Hi-Lo O'Reilly battery.
    Sometimes it works great and reads 12.3 volts at the terminals. Then, it suddenly quits and won't have enough juice to even turn on the interior dome light - nothing. I am guessing it is a vibration problem, but I am not sure.
    I took it to O'Reilly and the guy put it on the machine - reads 630 CCA (is supposed to be 800 according to the stickers on the battery) and the guy says he can't warrantee it out because it reads good.
    I tell himabotu my problem, amnd he tells me to check my battery connections. I have just replaced my battery connections, thank you.
    So, he won't warrantee it, period.
    So what I need to do is kill the battery where it won;t recharge at all and read very little cca.
    It's a maintenace free design (not a gel cell or anything) so I can't open up the battery and remove the acid.
    Someone has to be able to help me. Next time I'll bbuy a battery at Wal-Mart where they'll take back anything.
    -- Mike

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: How to kill a truck battery? Stupid Hi-Lo O\'Reilly

Unhook your alternator charge wire if you have one..........and turn on every electrical option you got...........still might try to charge it for you and make it work.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Uh yup. That'll do it. Leave it on ALL DAY and drain it real good. Then take it in. It'll be dead'r 'n a door nail, not much to salvage.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Dead short across the posts, do in an open field and stand way back, the thing could explode /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've seen bad regulators in the altrantor over charge batts and ruin them. Just a thought, old type batt chargers that ya had too keep a eye on so ya don't over charge, Damn, forgot about it for a couple days and look what it did to my batt. No sir Mr smartass clerk, I don't know why there is a hole in the side of the batt, no idea why it exploded. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You know, I thought about hooking something up to the battery directly, but just shorting it out doesn't seem like the wisest idea to me.
    -- Mike

7. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

oh common... It's a great idea. Nothing can go wrong /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, will this be on video tape??? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif