Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to kill weeds...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 11, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

heres the scoop...
    in my front yard I was planning on planting grass, but I was told to wait until it wasn't so hot, so in September I plan on planting the grass...
    my question is, all that area (maybe a 1/4 acre) is full of weeds up to my knees. Is there a way I can kill all these so they don't stop growing? I thought of the idea of getting a buinch of thick plastic tarp, and laying it over top, so over time the weeds wouldn't get any sun, and die.
    When it gets closer, I need to pull all them out too... agh. any tips are welcome!

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

weed-be-gone supposedly works. of course you could spray the yard with Round Up now and a few weeks start planting the grass. but don't listen to me, I'm not a lawn care expert and have weeds growing myself. I've got some of the W-B-G, but haven't had the time to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Just get a weed killer concentrate and spray it on every couple of weeks. I use one that stays active for 2 weeks and spray it on every week for 4-6 weeks. After that nothing grows back until new seeds spread into the area. The existing weeds will be so dead that they'll just turn to dust when smooshed into the soil. If you do that routine then rototill the heck out of the dirt, get your soil analyzed and add the amendments that they recommend before you seed, you should be in good shape.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ortho season long weed killer works the best for me.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

im no expert but i wouldent spray a bunch of plant killer in a place where you want stuff to grow, just rototill them in and seed real good and try to keep on top of anny weeds that may or may not come up afterward

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im no expert but i wouldent spray a bunch of plant killer in a place where you want stuff to grow, just rototill them in and seed real good and try to keep on top of anny weeds that may or may not come up afterward

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you use killer that only lasts a couple of weeks instead of all season.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Sand, lots of sand

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

weed burner... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Not that particular divise....but we have one at work that you hook to a gas grill tank....It's about a 3 foot handle, triger and tip...Shoots a 4' flame that you can't see.....only way I know it's 4' is that anything with in 4' bursts into flame when it's pointed at it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Sounds like a jet engine /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif Kills weeds dead /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif We use it in the parking lot

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there a way I can kill all these so they don't stop growing?

[/ QUOTE ]no, dead weeds will not grow. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

weed n feed is your best bet.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

so my best bet is to get a weed killer, then rototill them into the dirt when I plant the seeds? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Fence off the area real good and get yourself some pigs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They'll eat every weed as well as the roots and fertilize at the same time. Then when there done,rototill,level out the soil,plant your grass seed and slaughter the piggies. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gifThat way you have lawn and a full freezer at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL, if pigs didn't smell so much, I'd get some in a heart beat. And I don't think pigs in the front yard would go good with visitors /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Then go with sheep.

15. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Petting zoo? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

petting zoo...I always wanted a ostrich /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just spray them with Roundup, wait until they are dry and mow them down. Rake them up haul them out. Rototil the ground, rake it flat, seed, and rake the seed in.

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use a combo of Round up and M-C-P-A. Kills Johnson grass in about 2 days in 100* weather. The only problem is you have to have a permit to get MCPA. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Vicious stuff.

Or get a goat. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

ok im an Agribusiness major and a Iowa farm boy...so you know this advice is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Get some 2-4D it is a broadleaf herbicide, so it will kill the weeds you have, but any grass you have will still be alive. This particular herbicide is a growth inhibitor which actually makes the weeds "grow to death" the important thing is mix it as the label says to. When my mom sprays our yard she always mixes a double rate, it burns the heads of the dandelions but they are back in a week or so. If you mix it properly it with go through the Xylem and Phleom of the plant and kill the whole damn thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good luck

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Drey, can I get that stuff at a local plant store?