Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to know if dist is 180 degrees out?...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jul 8, 2003.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I just got my 1/2 chev back together now and I can't seem to get it running! It will roll over and sometimes it seems to fire a little but after the first one it usually doesn't again? I tried pouring a bit of gas down the carb like the manual suggested but it hasn't seemed to help. Can you help me. Oh yeah, its a 305 sbc. Thx.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

find top dead center on you number one cylinder then pull of your dist. cap the rotor should be under where you number one wire goes...or just flip the dist 180 deg then try it again. Have you verified the basics...spark fuel timing..etc?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pull the #1 plug and stick your thumb over the hole and turn the engine with a breaker bar until your finger is blown off by the compression pressure. Then turn it till the piston is at TDC on that stroke and check your dist.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, I'll go pull a plug and see. Thanks guys.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Is there a way that I can do this with one person?

6. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

If it is in backwards it won't drop in all of the way, it'll be about 1/16" from going down all of the way. Just take a look and if you can see a little gap between the bottom of the distributor and the intake manifold where it mates up, you've got it in backwards.

What I always do is take the driver's side cover off, turn the crank over with a 5/8" deep weld sock and ratchet until the #1 piston is at TDC. Then I take a flash light and peer down the distributor hole and see if the oil pump shaft's spline is pointed towards where the #1 plug wire is. If not, i take a large screw driver, point it that way, and plot the distributor down in there.

Slap the valve cover back on and fire 'er up.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

ps. I never have anybody to help me line it up, but it's easy this way and the most accurate way I've found.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If it was 180 out believe me you'd know it. I think I have done this every damn time I put in a distributer. At 180 out it will spit sputter and blow a jet of flame a good 2 feet out the carb /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

gravdigr's right. I just put mine back together 180* out and it would just backfire gas up out of the carb every few strokes.

You can check TDC by yourself by taking out the #1 plug and pushing a large plastic bag in just a little (a half inch or so). When you turn the pulley and the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke, the bag will come flying out if you pushed it in enough. You should at least hear "psssss". I've heard to use a tissue or something, but I couldn't get that to work so I used a newspaper bag. Just make sure to use a fairly large bag so it doesn't get sucked into the cylinder as you crank it around. When you find TDC, check your timing mark on your harmonic balancer to see if it's right.

With #1 at TDC, drop in the dist with the rotor facing toward the front. Make sure it drops in all the way flush with the intake manifold. If it drops in, but still isn't facing exactly right, you can "walk it over" by pulling the dist up just past where the teeth engage, rotate it one tooth over and drop it back in. That will move the oil pump so the dist will still drop in.

Then put your cap down trying to estimate the number of degrees you want to advance it (rotate cap counter clockwise). Hook up the wires and it should fire right up.

If it still doesn't fire, back up and make sure you are getting spark by pulling a plug, putting it back in the wire, ground the top against a header or the block, and have someone turn the truck over. Be careful doing that though. You don't want to get zapped by your ignition.

HTH. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

do you have the number one plug wire in the right spot on the distributer .rember when you drop it in the distributer turns. when i converted mine to hei i it moved the placement of the post you use for #1

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I got my dad to help me and I think we got it now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

disty 180 out on a small block is probably the most common problem when doing a cam or timing chain. All the books show the dot's lined up at 12 o clock and 6 o clock...but fail to mention that the motor is now at #6 TDC not #1 TDC. Without that info you assume the motor is at #1 and drop the disty in accordingly.

Being that it's 180 out it drops down perfectly too...then by the time you have tried to start it 11 times and finally swap the disty 180 back all the assembly lube is gone./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene