Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to level my truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbone, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

I have a 01 1500 sierra. I have installed a 6 inch CST lift kit with lift keys. I used the keys to lift the front just enough so that I am not rubbing the 35x12.50 SSRs I am running. I have lost a real reference point but I would guess that I am in the range of 6 3/4 to 7 1/2 inches of true lift over stock. (The CST kit gives a full 6 inches with their drop frame alone.) The rear is lifted by 5 1/2 inch blocks that were included in the CST kit. I am now going to get rid of these blocks and the factory blocks. I plan to use a combination of shackle flip brackets, longer shackles and custom springs. In the process, I would like to make sure the truck is level. The plan is to intall the brackets and shackles and then level the truck and measure for the custom springs. What is the proper way to do this? Should I measure to the bottom of the frame where it is parallel to the ground, right behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel, and make sure these are the same distance? This can't be as simple as putting a level on the bed rail can it?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive usually measured fender behind front tire, then in front of rear tire. Or just eyeballed it. The level thing will only work if the ground is perfectly level, and wont tell you how much off you are. I wouldnt worry about a half inch. And if the rear is 1 inch higher thats fine. So it took about 7" lift to clear 35's?? I had to get 1" lift front shackles to go with 4" all spring lift to get the front to sit level with the rear on my 81 K5. I think the rear on my 73 sits a little higher, but thats fine with me since I haul alot of crap to the dump, and end up carrying all the camping gear when my buddies n I go out.