Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to limit rust? What kind of paint to use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Kitzmiller, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

I recently purchased a 73'. The frame has surface rust, luckily no rot. Was going to grind all the rust off and use either por-15, or an industrial grade rust inhibitor to prevent further decay of the frame, then paint over the inhibitor. Powdercoating & sandblasting is not an option due to funds. Is this the right approach? What kind of paint is commonly used for this application? Anyone ever use paints made by Plasite, Carboline or Briner?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well if your using por15, i dont think u need to grind all the rust off, just get all the dirt off.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That's right, it says on the label of POR15 that it adheres better to slightly rusted metal, compared to bare, sandblasted metal. But just make sure if you touch the frame, rust doesn't flake off. :p:
    For my frame, I am going to get ALL the grime, dirt, and oil off of it. Then skim the frame with the wirewheel to get most of the bad rusted areas more cleaner.
    Good luck

4. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

i'm just going to use a wire brush mounted on either my angle grinder or drill to get rid of the loose stuff and then brush on a few coates of coro-stop or similar rust paint. i used it on some parts of my old honda and it smothers air well to stop the oxidation and is also very resistant to chipping

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I used http://www.por15.com/Great stuff, goes on like a stain and dries like steel. Don't get that stuff on your skin, it tooks 3weeks to 'were' off:crazy:
    You can even see it work it self into the heavy rust spots, is bubbles and moves around until dry, Great stuff. I simply used a wire wheel on my drill to take the heavy crap off then brished it on. A little goes a long way too:cool1:

6. vervepipes

vervepipes Registered Member

where does one buy por15?...

7. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

where does one buy por15

a lot of places......... directly from website www.por15.com or ebay.com