Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to make a camo jacket not so bright??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Dec 30, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so i got a duck-hunting jacket from cabela's a year or so ago, and it is extremely yellow/green; i mean this thing is loud. its the outer shell that's weird, the inner one, also camo, is very good color, but the outer is out of control. i stick out like a sore thumb (it's advantage wetlands). is there any way or anything i can do to dim this thing down. ive thought about giving it a 'mud bath' and just smearing mud on the outside, letting it dry, and rinsing it off. then again i was thinking, are ducks color blind? how do they see, does the color matter much or just the pattern?? i thought about air-brushing lightly some sort of brown onto it. the thing cost a pretty penny (well for me), and it sucks that as i stand there, i know any other hunters within hundreds of yards are like, "damn, look at that guy," much less the ducks. any tips would be appreciated..

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok I have been in Oklahoma for almost a year now. Where the hell do you duck hunt at????????

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

See the camo is working perfectly...:haha: :haha: :haha:

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

:doah: :doah: :doah:

5. XHitman396

my hunting buddy has permission to hunt a pretty awesome piece of land down in Hannah (sp?), which is off of Eufala Lake, so we stay on that most of the time. there is also a spot we like down by Webers Falls, by Muskogee, that's part of the Sequoyah national wildlife refuge that has quite a bit of ducks. when it freezes up real bad, there's little slews off the navigational channel that are man-made and water stays loose in there. pond-hopping is also good if you can find 'em. that's what we've been doing this year, and the past couple we have just been bouncing around. I thin Eufala has some of the best lake hunting if you know where to look.. where do you live at?? as in where the hell is Paden?:D

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have been finding that they see the shiny reflection from the boat or other objects. I will have to look into the whole color blind thing.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Directions to padden are here.... Paddin

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Pad....:D

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Actually I'm only about 50 miles (guessing) from Eufala just a little off of 40.
    Back in the late 80's early 90's I used to hunt on the Napa river in California......

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

For what wine bottles???:p:

11. XHitman396

i havent gotten to check whether they see the color of my coat or not because i havent used it in a place where the hunting kicks ass yet (i usually use a different jacket). i think ill bring it in the morning, then if they're coming, just lay it across the blind and see if it veers 'em off.. one of my buddies suggested just leaving it in the sun and let it fade, but i dont know how much of the edge that will take off.. California?? there's good hunting in Cali??

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No stoopid there is only salt ponds and sloughs there along with a bunch of inbred river rats living in really tacky house's along the river........

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Oh so not Napa vally then, Napa loserville...

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah.. The Pacific causeway, especially the central valley since it's nothing but water ways and farm land which is prime for ducks. Me and a buddy went goose hunting one morning. When daylight broke there was this farmers field that was about 100 acres and every inch of it was covered in Canadian honkers, there must have been a million of them. My buddy I was hunting with is from Florida and he about sh!t himself. I was acting like it was normal but I think I sh!t myself as well:D

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah it really sucks that some of the new camo actually makes you stick out like a neon sign. This is what i do for new camo:
    first wash it in a light solution of cheap bleach. Not enough to bleach bleach the color . maby a 1/4 cup in a full washigmachine tub. Don't use anything that says brighter whites. better colors ECT. The cheap stuff is the best to take the edge off the colors and lines.
    Then wash it in basic old ivory soap. Or just plain old hot water. Don't use tide or soaps that give brighter colors. Because they enhance UV reflection. Animals eyes are set up to see UV light. So washing your hunting cloths in soaps that enhance UV makes you stick out like a sore thumb in their eyes. The more washed out and dull your clothes are the better you blend into the background.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah gawd forbid you'd wanna get Dick Chaneyed...:D

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

That only happened cause it was in Texas where it is encouraged to shoot one another:haha:

18. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

no we shock people to death

19. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Dye it. Use Rit. Black. Put about 1/2 the dye it calls for in. If it's not dark enough, do it again. I suppose you could use a dark brown instead.

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ducks can see anything that's out of place. Anything. Unless you are bured in a blind, don't expect any to come in close if you stand out.

The rit is a good idea. Make it as close and dull as your surroundings as you can.