Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to make BLACK paint perfect?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by UseYourBlinker, Mar 26, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My girlfriend just got a new 2002 Nissan and we attempted to give it it's first bath today. Is there any tips on how to get the paint perfectly clean? There are alot of swirl marks in the paint.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Depends on whether the paint is covered by a clear coat. If so, and the swirls are in the black paint you're SOL. However, if you can get any pigment on a rag when you rub the surface a bit with some rubbing compound, then you can remove the swirl marks by using a white rubbing compound and an orbital (not rotary) buffer. A rotary buffer put those swirls in there. After you remove the swirls top coat it in a good acrylic finish.

3. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I would take it to a detail shop to be polished. A rotary high speed polisher would be best, used by someone who knows what they are doing. If they use the correct polishes in the correct order with the correct pads it will get rid of the swirls and will be perfectly smooth. Problem is, to many places can't use a polisher correctly, try going to the shop later in the day when some other customer's cars have been done. Look them over and see if you like there work. Afterwards, try to avoid touching or scrubbing the paint as much as possible. Even dusting the surface will cause very small scraches which will eventually lead to a slight haze on the surface. It's really hard to maintain a black car perfectly, but if you use the same motion(long, straight motions, not circular) every time you wash, dry, and wax, it will go a long way in keeping it nice.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Thanks for the info.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

whooooooooooooooowwwwww- DONT touch the paint!!!

if this is a 2002, brand spankin new car- head back over to the dealership... I'm sorry but there is NO way that a brand new car should have swirl marks... the majority of swirl marks are CAUSED by a buffer... We had a midnight blue metallic STS, and it was NEVER buffed, after 5 years and 150K miles, it did not have 1 swirl in it. I'd take it back over there, and talk to the GM regarding it

if this is the first bath, chances are she hasn't even made her FIRST payment.... I'd mention the fact that its only a few days/weeks old, and it should not have these marks, I'd almost be willing to bet, that when they serviced it for delivery, they washed/waxed it and used a buffer, and THEY are the ones that made the marks

good luck
    brandy