Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOW TO MAKE IT BIG

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, May 27, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok this is for a 85 1/2 ton Chevrolet single cab long bed.
    If I wanted to do a 6in sky jackers lift(system from national tire and wheel) and 35-12.50-16.50 BFG MT's on MT Classic 2's with and SJ Nitro shocks what else would I need? I was told i need to agle the diff. with pinion angle adj. shims(I was told I had to make them also) would I need this? Is there anything else I would need? & Does it a good set up? Wheres the best place to order this stuff natioal tire and wheel?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Skyjacker 6" springs already have the shims bolted to the bottom of the leaf packs.

You need a steering correction of some sort. Such as the Skyjacker 6" raised steering arm, or their 4" raised arm and their 2" drop pitman arm.

Longer stainless braded brakelines would be in order for this amount of lift. With 6" lift, you can flex pretty good, so you don't want the brake lines to tear from their mounts.

Longer front driveshaft would be recommended. The rear you could get by, but would recommend a new longer one so the slip yoke does not accidentally fall out under full droop of the suspension.

The best place to get the stuff would be from 90blzr as he can get them for the best prices. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Shoot him a PM.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Think I could do it for $2000 or less?

4. thatK30guy

You would be pushing it.

Those MT's are expensive. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Why not look into the Eagle rims as they are cheaper. If you can find cheaper imitation rims, you could beat the $2K price. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Definately, My 4" with all the things he just talked about, steering brake lines etc was under 1000. Down the road you might want to look into a CV drive shaft for the rear.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

walt did you do the work your self i plan on doing it my self, did you get soft ride spring and everything? MT Classic 2's are $130 is that really that expensive?

7. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

130 a pop isnt bad at all. How much is the lift you want cost mine was just under $500 at my door. What I did to save money in the begining was buy a set of used tires and rims. Then i got 35" dunlops.

8. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry, yes I did it my self. I didn't buy skyjacker, unfortuantely.

9. thatK30guy

Ok, I went back to a magazine to find the price for the MT II wheels and yeah, that's a good price for one.
    I thought you were looking at the Classic instead of Classic II. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif The Classic was the expensive rim I was thinking about.

So, yeah, you can do the whole thing for $2K or slightly less. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

The lift is $624 for the system(what the diff. between the kit and system from skyjackers) Im looking for used 35's but am having trouble finding them. Most of the other tries I like are for only 15 16 or 17 and I want 16.50. Im sure when I start the project yall will be hearing fromt me everyday

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

system is usually front and rear springs while a kit is usually front springs and rear blocks. in my opinion do the system with the rear springs. thats what i did with my first lift and i have never gone back.

what tires are you looking for?

fill out your profile so people will know where you are from...that way if somebody near you has tires they can let you know or if you need help putting the lift on most would be glad to help...

Later

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

How do I make a profile? Im in Florida about 15min north of Naples

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Also how much is it usually to get dual front shocks besides the price of the shocks(The use the same kind of shocks right?)

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

when you are logged in go up to my home...when youre in my home...scroll down to personal information and fill out all that good stuff like bio and location and all that...

that way when people click on your name they can see where you are and all that good stuff...

the only person i can think of in florida is pureinsanity...hes in dade city i believe

dont know how close that is to you though

Later

15. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my 88 had dual front shocks on it from the factory but the price of my original 6" kit four years ago with shocks steering arm ubolts all hardware front and rear springs plus the two extra shocks was 715 dollars shipped to my house from national tire an wheel...the kit was a superlift kit though

Later

16. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Another Dade Citian here

17. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Why do you want 16.5s? They like to pop beads when wheeling, and I dont think they make 6 lug rims in 16.5
    Your best best is to go 15s since they are the cheapest.

Dan

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

4WD and I are prob. about 2-3 hrs away from eachother. Straight down I-75.

BTW 4WD I am supposed to know tommorow if I am getting a parts truck, well the guy is supposed to deliver it to the shop for me anyway, so I may have a 6 in kit for sale. Complete w/ everything you will need. I was hoping to get it delivered on Friday, but he didnt have time. He owns the wrecker its being delivered on and he didnt want to risk being on the road to drop this thing off and get a call, so that took me out for the weekend too.

19. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Why would a tire with a 16.50 rim and a lower profile blow a bead easer than a tire with 15in rim that has more side wall I no in racing quads we run low profiles so we dont blow beads beadlocks also help but are mainly for strength the reason besides looks that I half to have 16.50's is I adventually want to get 1ton axles and I need to clear the brakes

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

16.5s bead on a 45 degree angle, and the 15, 16, and 17 bad on a 90 degree angle. 90 degrees is alot better. If you let the air out of a 16.5 it unbeads itself. I know I have done it a few times. Where the other sizes will stay on.