Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to make shackles??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jun 21, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to make some front shackles to give me a little lift and I was wondering what yall made them out of and how long they were, it looks pretty easy so I think I could do it, Also how much lift did you get vs. how long your shackle was.
    Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I think people are using 2" x 3/8" bar stock...
    Let some others chime in here though

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think people are using 2" x 3/8" bar stock...

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeppers, 2" x 3/8" flat stock /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

For every inch you make the shackle longer, the lift will equal about 1/2 inch. But you can't go very long up front because as the shackle gets longer, the axle housing rotates, screwing up the caster angle of the steering and the pinion angle where the driveshaft mates up. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Don't try to cheap out with some 8 inch longer shackles to get 4 inches of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You'll create a rolling time bomb... If you can't afford a new lift kit, just keep an eye on the For Sale forum. Sometimes you can get a kit VERY cheap from a member that's swapping to something different. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Im not trying to get alot of lift out of it I just want about a inch or so because every time I stuff the tire my springs hit the frame and I cant flex anymore.
    Thanks

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

In that case, then an inch should be OK. I think that's how much longer the ORD shackles are. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In that case, then an inch should be OK. I think that's how much longer the ORD shackles are. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the ord shackles are an inch total longer so that would give 1/2" lift. You'd have to go 2" longer to get 1" lift which would mean your shackles would need to be around 6" long total length. I watched a video of a guy that had rediculous front shackles. As he pulled out of the garage they collapsed sideways /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the ord shackles are an inch total longer so that would give 1/2" lift. You'd have to go 2" longer to get 1" lift which would mean your shackles would need to be around 6" long total length. I watched a video of a guy that had rediculous front shackles. As he pulled out of the garage they collapsed sideways /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The ord ones are onlt 1/2" longer not 1"

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm
    Quote from their site:
    This kit finishes what the factory started with the front shackles. We increase the bolt size to 1/2", use gold zinc plated 3/8" thick sideplates and make the side plates 1/2" longer to help keep lift springs from hitting the frame on full compression. This 1/2" minimizes the pinion angle and castor change to help prevent driveshaft bind and wandering on the highway.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I tried making longer front shackles and it made my pinion angle way off, the driveshaft would bind at the diff. I cut them off to 1/2" longer than stock and bought bushings and greasable bolts from ORD. I was kinda disappointed because the longer shackles improved the ride quality (softer) and it drove better but I didnt want to put degree shims under the front springs to correct the pinion angle, Ive heard of people having "zero rates" milled to the proper degree and have good luck that way but I didnt have time and this is mostly a trail vehicle anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

7" center to center length seems to be the consensus needed to avoid the frame when you move the shackle mount to where it should be

call the local Iron Worker/Steel shop and tell them you need four pieces of 2" wide 3/8" flat bar, 9" long, with 15/32" holes, punched at 7" on centre along the centre line

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain how using a 1" longer shackle is going to give you a half inch of lift?

Am I not seeing something, 1" longer shackle should give you 1" of lift, if your bolt holes on the shackles are 1" further apart than stock. You may loose at the most a 1/4" of that 1" if it rotates around and then but not a 1/2". We dont split the amount for any other reason?

Inlighten me if I'm not seeing something!

If your staying with 7/16" bolts you can use 1-1/2" flat stock.

12. bigyellowjimmy

You are only lifting one end of the spring, if you had extended shackles on both ends then it would lift it the full amount /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Can someone explain how using a 1" longer shackle is going to give you a half inch of lift?

Am I not seeing something, 1" longer shackle should give you 1" of lift, if your bolt holes on the shackles are 1" further apart than stock. You may loose at the most a 1/4" of that 1" if it rotates around and then but not a 1/2". We dont split the amount for any other reason?

Inlighten me if I'm not seeing something!

If your staying with 7/16" bolts you can use 1-1/2" flat stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way. Look at your vehicle from a side view. Give 1" at the shackle on your front axle. Since you are lifting only one end of the leaf spring while the other stays the same, it just pivots and giving you an estimated 1/2" of lift. If you put 1" on both ends of the leaf springs, then you'd get 1" of lift.

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

OK you've inlighten me I didn't think of it like that.... maybe if I would get more sleep, I would have see it with clearer eyes.....

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I probably wouldn't go much more than 3/4" longer so you don't end up with too much castor and cause driveline problems. I'd probably make them out of 1.5"x3/8" flatstock.

Stock ones are too girly for you, eh?
    [​IMG]

16. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    OK you've inlighten me I didn't think of it like that.... maybe if I would get more sleep, I would have see it with clearer eyes.....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif