Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to make solid steel spring perches, pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Jun 8, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

there was a thread a few days ago of someone asking who makes solid steel spring perches. i chimmed in and said they would be easy to make at home and would not be too much work. heres prooving my point. aside from having to mill down the 3.0 i started with to 2.5 i did the rest with tools you can use at home. if you start with 2.5 by 2. you dont have to cut anything but the corners and the radius and drill your hole. here are some pics. it took me 1 hour from start to finish. actual cut time was aprox 30 to 40 min. i took my time and didnt rush it either. then i benched a radius an all corners to clean it up and ground the saw finish to clean it up also. i did this at work on our 12 in grinder. its a piece of junk cause its easy to stall. i wanted to grind it at home on my 20 in grinder but it was time for dinner, so i closed it up for the night. i cant stall my 20 in grinder at home. you can do the same thing with a basic 4 1/2 hand grinder too. first i removed the 45 deg cut to remove most of the bulk. then i cut the rad cut. when my blade would start to go off cut line i would bact out and cut in from the straight cut to remove a chunk of material to help me get back on line. if you dont have a portaband saw, well theres a good reason to go buy one.

DSCN0134.JPG

DSCN0136.JPG

DSCN0138.JPG

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Looks good!

Nice work.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice work, although I don't see the need for billet spring perches. 1/4" wall 2.5"x2.5" box tubing is easier to source, easier to work with at home, and is still overkill.

Rene

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Yeah that thing is awesomely fatty though! I like overly, extra, superduper, incredible overkill.

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now that is some beefy stuff right there. I do agree with trusty though, is easier to source and work with the box tubing. When clarkjw24 made my set, after I wrapped mine around the axle, he used the box tube, and reinforced the inside with 1/2" steel welded to box tubing and then added some more on top after drilling holes. Total height of it allowed me to remove my zero rates so the back of the truck sat level again. Pics are in clarkjw24 and my galleries. I think he named them John Boy perches. I have no worries I will ever wrap these bad boys around the axle tube again.

I thought mine were initially over kill but yours has mine beat. Nice work.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

trusty, i agree with you 100%, just showing that it can be done at home. just cause its that thick of steel doesnt mean it cant be cut with a light duty saw and fabbed at home. i told the guy looking for them that i could or would make them. i personely would make them out of tubing too. just showing the beginer fab guys you dont have to have a machine shop to do this stuff. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005