Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to mangle your Blazer w/o even trying...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by speedup, Jan 11, 2003.

1. speedup

speedup Registered Member

...or, "The Dangers of Semi-Urban Wheelin'"

Here's how I managed to do some expensive mechanical damage to my baby driving over a curb:

I work at a movie theater that was built about 7 months ago in my small town of Sandy, OR. Right behind the theater, there is a rivine with some fun hill climbs that are extremely challenging in the rain. Also nearby is a large grassy field.

One of my co-workers has heard of my hill climb antics and wanted to come with me, so we headed out after work. To get down there, you simply drive over the curb and down a "steep" two foot embankment to level ground--no problem for a lifted Blazer.

What *does* cause problems for a lifted Blazer is an invisible-in-the-dark three foot retaining wall awaiting to surprise the unwary nighttime adventurer.

Certain that I was well past the end of the retaining wall, I drove over the curb and headed down. Almost immediately, the ground dropped out from underneath my front wheels and I landed full weight on my transfer case.

I determined that the police who routinely patrol the area wouldn't take kindly to my parking job, and even though my Blazer was thoroughly damaged (the transmission was making some terrible noises), I was able to power my way off the ledge into the field where I was less visible.

The tow truck driver told me that AAA wouldn't cover an offroad tow, but he would consider an on-road tow if I could get the truck to the pavement. With a demolished tranny and t-case I managed to get back to the road to safety.

Now the Blazer is in my driveway with a slightly tweaked frame (where the t-case support crossmember--which is also bent--sits), screwed up transmission, probably damaged t-case, and an engine that is tilting downward...

The moral of the story: Get heavy-duty armor for your truck's guts. You never know when a simple urban excursion will yield expensive results.

A trust fund has been set up where you can send sympathy money and spare parts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks hope you get it fixed soon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. speedup

Doesn't look like it will be soon. Going to try to find a cheap S-10 Blazer for a commuter while I save the cash.

$$$ doesn't add up fast at min. wage..

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

have no fear my friend, frames and x cases are cheap and my buddy has one sitting, with a beater body on it. i'll ask him what he wants for it. then you take the tweaked frame and body and put em together and start cutting and whoala! you have yer project /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The moral of the story: Get heavy-duty armor for your truck's guts. You never know when a simple urban excursion will yield expensive results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, would I be correct in the assumption that this little expensive trip of yours was done on private land? Would the police want to have a talk with you if you were running around this land?

6. mudhog

What *does* cause problems for a lifted Blazer is an invisible-in-the-dark three foot retaining wall awaiting to surprise the unwary nighttime adventurer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i hope that this isnt there to keep people out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I determined that the police who routinely patrol the area wouldn't take kindly to my parking job

[/ QUOTE ]
    why????????

[/ QUOTE ]
    actually it should be to wheel where you are supposed to wheel like TSF sand lake or up on mt.hood in the snow /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Gawd ,I wish I could do doughnuts on my neighbors lawn without getting stuck.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Gawd ,I wish I could do doughnuts on my neighbors lawn without getting stuck....

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you would get those bald Futura AT tires off your truck and get some real tires, I don't think y'all will have that problem.

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ya no sh*t, maybe if he made a MOJOR UPGRADE to something like Bias-ply 195/65/14 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats sucks. hopefully you can get it all fixed.

11. speedup

It is a large undeveloped lot on the edge of town with a hill that goes down into a grove of trees. To my knowledge it is public land. There are no signs to the contrary.

As for the retaining wall, it was put up to prevent erosion of the street since the street was at the edge of a hill.

Legally speaking, I suppose your garden variety concerned citizen would shake a stick at you and tell you to leave, but I am not the first person to find recreation at this particular location and by no means will I be the last. Guess you'd just have to see it to know that it isn't a horrendous crime to do a few cookies there.

Anyway, I just bought an '89 S-10 Blazer to commute in while I fix my truck. 20 mpg is a definite change of pace for me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. mudhog

i wasn't trying to rag on you just wanted to make sure you were not trespassing or anything /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i guess if they had a problem with it they would put up no trespassing sign's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so what do you need to get your blazer going again?

13. speedup

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I have been planning on doing a complete restoration and retiring this Blazer from wheelin'. I have too much history with this truck to hurt it anymore.

Either way, it looks like I might need a new frame, t-case, and transmission, and I want to build a more powerful engine and fix all body damage and rust. At the same time, I want to buy an '80s K5 to turn into my wheelin' truck. I don't like the way their fenders look so I'd have no problem cutting them. Which reminds me, anybody have any ideas for a decent paying job? He's got, hi-igh hopes... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Jeeeez, when I go to the mall all I get is lighter in the bank account.
    Time for some major mall cruzer upgrades.lol /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif