Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to mount a cooler rack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by djm, Jun 1, 2000.

1. djm

djm Registered Member

Been awhile since my last post, my truck has been running good lately.I use it for the beach mainly,
    now I want to mount a cooler rack on the front. I've been told to weld two hitch receivers along the front end and attach the rack with what normally has a ball on it. Does that make sense? Two recievers seem like a lot probably but it's huge at nearly 5ft wide. Right now I have a push rack or whatever it's called. Not sure how that's mounted but it's coming off. ANY advice is greatly appreciated.
    Dan-NJ
    '85 Surburban 2500

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Man, all that room in the Suburban and you still need more for a cooler? :)

Do you have a hitch on the rear? If so, I would just make a cooler rack off of that rather than adding two recivers to the front.
    Or, what about mounting it to the roof? Buy a Con-fer or similar roof rack and strap it on there.

Hope this helps!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

I have one of those huge coolers. The only way it would fit in my K5 was to put it on a hitch-haul rack.. it fit perfectly and was very secure. Maybe one of those would work on the front. They mout using the slide in hitch reciever. Watch out if you put it on the rear and you have duals..... the cooler doesnt like all that heat.

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Speaking of heat, if you put all that stuff in the front of your rig you will block all the wind comming in to cool your motor!! Heat will kill your motor[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

5. djm

djm Registered Member

Thanks for the valuable replies. I want to avoid attaching anything to the back of the truck, the rear platform is expensive anyway. The rack I'm buying holds 6 rods, a 105qt cooler and a 5gal bucket! It mounts to a truck with two 1.5" round mounting tubes. So I figure I can install two 2" receiver tubes along the crossmember so the cooler rack has something to slide into. Now I gotta' find a reasonable price for welding...so far I was quoted $150, ouch. Thanks again

Dan-NJ
    85 Beach-burban 2500