Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to mount a snow plow,on a 1985 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RATAH, Feb 19, 2006.

1. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Hello i have a 1985 chevy blazer
    and just got a used western snow plow 7.5 feet
    iam not sure where or how it mounts,,
    iam hoping someone has pics of an 80's model chevy
    so i can see how it mounts,,
    Well Thankyou for your time Help
    Here a few picshttp://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15721&d=1140368127

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

sorry no pics,, ask allan...mtnexplorer I think he has plows...

to use a plow on a k5 your suspension has to be in great shape... and could benefit from dual shocks and an add a leaf up front....k5s are a little light for real plowing but are ok for occasional use... the plow is really heavy for the 10 bolts longevity

a frame is made up to attach the plow to your bumper,,I assume you have the plow frame that goes with the plow... to make it really solid you can build a sub frame that goes back under the truck behind the axle coming down off the frame... thus distributing the loads to the center of the truck...
    your plow manufacturer is a good place to start for pics... have you looked at their website?
    this is not a hard custom fab job,,, but I dont know if you weld or not... obviously you can buy the bolt on kit for your truck (probably) still from the plow company... they are spendy

you didnt state whether its electric (not as good) or hydralic (better for more plowing)

cam

4. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

plowing along....

I've had several GM 4x4's for plowing since 1987...only the last 2 trucks I had were K20's..ALL of them had the 10 bolt front ends,or a dana 44 axle,and stock leafs up front..a few of them,including my 82 K20 with a 6.2,only have 2 leafs in the front springs!..:eek1:

I had an 8' Fisher plow on my other trucks that was a real heavy S.O.B..about 450-500 lbs!..I never broke any springs or axle housings,or even axle shafts...in fact,I never had any trouble other than a few outer U-joints going bad due to rust!--and front driveshafts CV joints going bad,or a hub or two give me a bit of greif......

I wouldn't say the 10 bolts are "weak",sure,they WILL break easier than a Dana 60..but I've yet to own one,and don't feel its really nessasary..nice to have,but not a "must"..I didn't beat the living snot out of my trucks or get them airborne(much:rolleyes: ) either though..I did have to whale on them a few times when we got over 2' of heavy wet snow though,and I never plowed until the storm was over..:doah:

I'd prefer to have a K5 for plowing driveways..they are every bit as rugged as a K10 or 20 pickup,and the short wheelbase is better for manuverability in tight places..I'd say an 8' plow is a bit too big for one though,(but I see many pushing one here!)...I'd say a 7.5' is perfect..

I'm not that familiar with a Western plow frame,but its probably similar to the Fisher I had if yours is hydraulic..mine had 2 plates that bolted to the outside of the frame rails,and a "C" channel that bolted to both of those plates like a crossmember,where the plow's "A" frame pins would hook on..and another frame bolts to the plates in front of the grile,and holds the piston up,so the plow can be lifted..I'd search on E-bay or Craigslist,there are several pictures of plows and plow frames for sale there..at least on the "boston" craigslist there is..:crazy:

6. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Thankyou Diesel4me for the info

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my uncle pushed snow for 8 years before tearing down his first '79 K20 for a resto project (it hasnt seen daylight in 5 years or better :rolleyes: ), and then another 3 years on the second '79 K20 (which later became mine, hence, "beater_k20" -NOT my '77), never broken anything in the front axle. my grandpa had a '78 K5 with a 10 bolt in it for years, before he bought my K20, which also has a 10 bolt. between those 4 rigs, plowing both residential, and commercially, over the last 15 years or so years, 0 broken front axle parts on the plow rigs. the '92 K2500 he bought to replace the '79 when i bought it from him on the other hand.... LOVES half shafts. enough that he keeps a spare set in the toolbox, with a lifetime warranty on them.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

here's the best i've got... its pretty much a bracket that hangs straight down from the front of the frame, IIRC, with the 2 diagonal supports going back to just behind the front hangers. my family has used exclusively Western plows for years, with the exception of the Fisher that came on the above mentioned K5. had nothing but good luck with them.

brighterIMAG0001.JPG