Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to mount electric fuel pump correctly?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, May 11, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I am running a 454 with a q-jet and an electric fuelpump. What I want to know is should I mount the pump close to the carburator or close to the tank. Should I mount it as high as posiible or as low as possible. I am running a Autozone generic fuelpump which I suspect is not up to the task of pulling enough fuel through the system, do I need a high volume pump and if so can someone recommend me one. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The pump is most likely a pusher type so it will need to be as close to the tank as possible. I would mount it low (on the frame probably) so it stays primed.

Beware, most of the other aftermarket pumps (Holley, BG, Mallory, etc) will require a regulator.

3. bajaviking

Before when I ran the q-jet on the small block with mechanical fuel pump I never had any problems on hill climbs, now with the same carb it stumbles and I don't know if it's because the q-jet can't feed the big block or if it's because the electric fuel pump can't keep up. Your opinions are much appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you want to mount it close to the tank and below the tank. Electric fuel pumps are MUCH MUCH more efficient pushing fuel. Meaning if you can minimize the amount of pulling it had its will be more efficient. What kind of pump is it? Just some generic thing? I wouldn't expect that to be up to feeding a big block.

5. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have used that autozone cheepy pump and I went through 4 of them (life time warranty of course) and they couldn't feed my small block but I did have it mounted under the hood. I now use a holley red and have it mounted on a custom bracket that bolt the the cross member right infront of the tank. It has never let me down. I have thought about going with the holley blue that has and requires the regulator but have not made the switch yet...Jason

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Like this.... Nothing has worked better for me than this setup. Daddy told me a long time ago, you get what you pay for. As it stands, this system has not let me down.

[​IMG]

John

7. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

Have to agree with the previous posts. I got one of those kragen electric pumps /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif and mounted it on the wheel well next to motor. Big mistake because electric like to push not pull. Fuel pressure was spuratic and only got to 4psi. Would not work when hot outside. Was gonna mount next to and below tank but was easier to put mechanical back in. With mech. I get constant 8PSI now and no loud electric pump. I have watched a couple posts here regarding pumps. If I go back I will probably do what they talked about in the posts. In-line bosch pump. Will see. Have bigger fish to fry next for me! Tune engine, steering, lockers, gearing, tires.......... /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    It never ends. Pismo is coming up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif and truck is acting up!

8. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

huh, sounds like a real problem for you guys. sure wish i didn't have tbi so i could enjoy in your pains. too bad. as far as the sr175 guy goes well he's just a hair away from a ford style break down. 98% still on the road huh. 2% can actually make it home. how sad. guess i'll just have to keep helping him till his truck turns into a K5.

ironic i may be starting working for a ford dealer. i'll do my best to try and get that average up to 3%.

9. bajaviking

How much was your Holley pump and where did you buy it. Thanks for al the input everybody.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is there any reason you aren't running a mechanical fuel pump?

I don't really have anything against electric pumps, but to do it right costs a hell of a lot more than going with the stock mechanical ones that work flawlessly. Also seems to generate more problems for some of the people that do the swap. (my dad was in the same boat when he went 454, electric just wasn't cutting it)

Instead of dumping more money into yet another electric pump, and having to re-plumb stuff under the truck, it might make more sense to use the mechanical, as long as it's an option.

11. bajaviking

I think the engine I got is from a newer year because it came with a block off plate where the fuelpump goes. I don't know if the internals are ready to just put a pump in there or not /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the engine I got is from a newer year because it came with a block off plate where the fuelpump goes. I don't know if the internals are ready to just put a pump in there or not /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dorin this is my problems I have a 95 motor in a 82 truck and the newer motor didn't have the hole for a fuel pump push rod....Jason

13. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Under the block off plate, everything is there you need to just put on a mechanical one. I have a mechanical and an electric that i run at the same time. Once I bypassed the mechanical one jsust to see what would happen, and it was fine till i gave it over 1/2 throttle, then it got a little rough. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm running a street/strip carter inline electric fuel pump and so far I'm very pleased with it. The carter replaced the red holley which leaked all the time. Holley was old too but still happier with this one as it is very quiet and provides plenty of fuel.