Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To Mount Full-Hydro Ram?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Mar 13, 2005.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Looking for pics of how you mounted your full-hydro rams. I need some ideas!

Ran into clearance issues mounting the ram on my front 10 bolt. Thought I could squeeze it into the oem steering stabilizer mounts and beef them up. But, its 2.5" diameter tube hits the u-bolt turning left and the tie-rod turning right. Currently running stock knuckles & tie-rod. Looking for suggestions on how/where to mount it. Thanks!

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just curious, why are you going to run full hydro on a 10 bolt? Wouldn't any tires that warrant running full hydro destroy a 10bolt?

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I didn't know I had to have huge tires to "warrant" full-hydro. How about extreme flex? Or, just wanting the best steering performance I can get? Of course, a Dana 60 & 40's are on the list. But in the meanwhile, I'd still like to turn.

Still looking for mounting suggestions & pics. Thanks!

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, sounds good. I was just curious because most people don't want to spent the $$$ for full hydro until they've done other upgrades.

And now im curious to see what you've got coming together, any other specs/pics?

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's not full hydro but everything is the same on mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is a sweeet double-end, flanged mounting, setup there! Great work!

I forgot to mention that I'm using a Howe PT426 Single-End Ram. That's why I'm having mounting difficulties.

It's just barely too big in diameter to fit where the steering stabilizer was. Any other suggestions? Thanks, again!

And for dhcomp's curiosity, here's the rig :D

Truck1.jpg

7. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

Forgive my ignorance and hijacking of this thread- but what is a full-hydro ram??? And why it is used?

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Full-Hydro is the ultimate in turning power. Based on same hydraulic parts & principles as tractors and other heavy equipment. Do more research and you'll understand why it's applicable in our sport.

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So will it fit at all between the axle and the tie rod?

And just out of curiosity, Are you running this full hydro setup on a street driven rig?

10. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sure, it will fit in there. It just makes contact at full lock both directions. I don't want to turn out the bump stops. That defeats the purpose of full-hydro.

AND NO.... It is not a street driven rig. Don't even go there! I'm so sick of that conversation.

Just give me some pics of mounting ideas, please!

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Is your Diff cover beefed up any? If it is then you can make a mount coming off of that and run the ram on top of the tie rod. That's basically the only way your gonna be able to do it. Once you go with the 60 you'll have more option becasue of hi-steer but your pretty limited now.