Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to Mount This Antenna? Link to photo...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Polaris, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Full of questions this week. We were given a pair of antennas. One of them is at http://polariswebdesign.com/Trucks/cbantenna.jpg . How do these mount? I don't get it... I have a magnet mount but can't seem to find a good place to put it. I had it on the fender and don't like slamming the door on the wire. Plus it's so big, trees like to take it off on the trail. Thanks for any advice.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Clickey no workey. You may want to try a mirror mount.

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

The best place to mount one is on the roof right in the middle due to your ground plane. They make mounts that go right through the roof with alittle drilling and that is where you get the best grounding. Plus it is a perminant mount and wont get knocked off on the trail. That is where I mount my vhf/uhf antenna. My cb antenna is on the rear bumper with a whip. Link didn't work so this is just general advise on antenna mounting. Hope it works out.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I plan on getting a roof light bar and mounting my 102" whip on it. I'll use a pot belly spring so it'll have some give.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well I went to your web site I'm sorry to say I didn't find the pic. So I'll give you my thoughts on this. Yes the roof is the best place for a Ant. And it's where I was going to put mine but the thought of a low tree branch bending or breaking a 40 to 70 $ Ant. dosen't sit well with me. A 102in Whip Ant. can be just that a WHIP to anyone standing by your truck while you go by, Which is why alot of clubs don't want them on the trail. I use a ball mount with a 5ft fiberglass Ant. with 18ft of coaxial cable. The big reason for me to go this way is my Blazer had a hole already for a ball mount, It's not where I would of put the hole ( the lower part of the drivers side rear quarter panel) For me it would work better in the upper part. I think it would get better SWRs. That being said without seeing your pic I can't help much sorry.
    Oh I almost forgot. You have a neat web site and some cool personal pic of home life and wheeling. Your K5 looks good in the pic a realy good find for 500$ But after seeing what the rust did to your's my 83 will stay in Colorado.

Eric

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I fixed the link. Had an extra . in it - oops! Yeah, Wisconsin winters are not good for vehicle bodies. Now my rear tailgate pan is shot on the left side. I hope we can just weld in some new support for the hinge because LMC wants $150 for the part! Ouch!

I think from what I've seen this is a gutter mount antenna. Some meathead who had the truck before me drilled holes in the roof. I have plastic plugs in them now. One in the middle on top and one on the pass side roof. I do want to run the wires out of view for the most part. That is my big issue. I'm considering a light bar for it. Problem is, can't afford lights right away! Heehee. I think I'll ask for lights for any special occassion ;-). Thanks everyone for your advice.

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I have a light bar on mine right now and it sits about five inches forward from the antenna on the roof.. I made the mounts for the bar out of some real light aluminum we have at work so it bends out when I hit low branches and stuff. The bar goes right over the antenna when it comes off. I made it that way so there isn't any damage to the truck and it has only come off twice and if it wasn't designed that way would have really tore up the truck and only takes three minutes to reattach.And doesn't interfere with the swr's. My swr's are right on at .5. Hope you come up with something. I am getting new pics up in a few days

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Neat idea. Please do post pics of your setup when you can!

9. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Sorry I haven't done the pics yet. I hurt my back last week and have been laid up on the couch since. I am leaving soon for overseas so I will try to get it done prior to that.

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That's ok, I hope you feel better soon! The leaking gas tank and bald tires are taking priority right now, anyways /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You could always do what I did, just took a mirror mount and drilled the drivers side of the rear bumper and bolted just the angle half of the mirror mount to tthe bumper. The only draw back is if you slide into a tree or rocks, and that your antenna does not have a good dround plane so will no receive as effectively from the opposite side of the truck. If you use a steel whip you will need tennis balls or something else to prevent the antenna from grounding to your vehicle body.