Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To: Move spring perches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jun 9, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is this even possible? i have a 2wd 14bolt rear end and the perches are about 3" narrower than my 10bolts perches. Are they just welded onto the axel housing or is it just formed onto it? i havent gotten a chance to clean it up and really check it out yet. Is it easy to move? just grind away and re-weld? Any recommendations?

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you got a 14 Bolt FF from a 1 ton. Take a look at the shock mounts, there on the wrong lise of the housing too. Grind off the spring perches one at a time and wend them in the new location. Make sure you get the pinion angle right. Some guys like to bolt the axle all in place with the perches loose, set the angle, tack it, then pull it out, weld it up and bolt it back in.

I think you can reuse the shock mounts from your old axle and weld them on the 14 Bolt FF.

Good Luck.

Eric M.

3. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

They are just welded on... cut them off and buy new ones, i believe they are like 15 bucks each and you just weld them on....and at the same time you can rotate the perches so you get a better pinion angle aswell :)

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

oh wow awesome you can buy new ones? where can u buy them from? thanks for the info guys.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't get the cheap ones that don't curve in on the ends or if you do weld a little plate in there I have seen those type of perches collapse a couple of times and if you don't notice it it can lead to some very serious problems.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can buy them on ebay for $16 a pair, or go to your local race car shop. my local carquest is big on circle track, they have them in stock for $6 each. you have to do a little grinding to fit the 3.375" axle tube, but its hardly much at all. i just did it yesterday.