Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to open a hood if the release cable breaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Feb 16, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

It hasn't happened yet, but I was looking at it today and it got me wondering. How would you open a hood if the cable broke at the hood release mechanism? It's suppose to keep the bad guys out so I'm guessing there isn't an easy way other than cutting out the grill and drilling some access holes.

I looked at my shop manual and there was one sentence about "sticking the correct size rod up from below". I looked at it from every angle, there ain't any little spots for a "correct size rod" to come up from under ... and if there was, I'm guessing every car thief would know about this and that would sort of defeat the purpose of the lock in the first place.

Anyone ever run into this??

Eric M.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i believe you can jimmy a coathanger in there and get it. My parts burban when i bought it the cable was broken and it had a coathanger hangin out from under the hood. Guy bought it from popped the hood up, i just put a ratchet strap over the hood and left it on the safety catch for the trip home.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm curoius about this too cause on my burban the cable has stretched so it usually takes a few tries to pop the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just take the inner fenders out! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've thought about this too, the cars are pretty much the same way. Only thing I could come up with is to either destroy the radiator, or MAYBE you can snake you arm up far enough from behind the tire, to reach the cable, and as long as it broke towards the cab, cut it, pull the end to you, and pull the cable with a pair of pliars.

Probably end up breaking AFTER that point though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Luckily the cable appears to be pretty stoutly made, as long as the inner cable doesn't abrade on anything, it should work. The sheath on mine broke, but the cable is still fine.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive broke a hood cable, luckly i bumped the hood and it popped up /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif i shortened the cable and hooked it to the part on the latch and hung the handle near the head light. i just pulled it sideways and it popped up everytime /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i went through the very same thing with my 86 a few months back. take a wide sturdy piece of metal (i used 3"wide 1/4" thick plate) and place it between the hood and the core support by the latch. pry upward on it, but be careful not to kink the hood. once you get the hood bent up a little put a 13mm socket on the latch bolts, and remove the latch from the core support. open your hood, and release the latch manually. when you're all done gently tap the hood back to its original shape, fix your latch, and you're good to go.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have removed the kick panel and used vice grips to grab on whats left of the cable?

9. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

AMAZING
    I just had this happen to me last week
    heres what worked for me
    took me about 10 minutes
    once i had the "tools"
    stats 1984 burb
    ingrediants
    1 strong coathanger all metel ( the cheep kind ) but must be the strong one
    and one piece of old tranny line at least 3' long
    Step one
    prep coathanger like ya would to open the locked door

/1
    / 1
    next bend piece of hard tranny line so it is straight except for the one end then bend that in a J-L sahpe with at leaast 4" of tube at the end of it
    next put coathanger threw grill and pull back the safty catch and wrap the coathanger around bumper to secure it
    next
    put tranny line up from under the bumper behind the grill and in the small hole the safty lach covers twist and push in and forward toward the front of the hood till ya catch and push the little lever that pops the hood
    or if your hood is reguler got a little crack ya can try to run the coathanger between the hood and core support and then just twist and pull back when ya catch the release lever
    hope it helps
    but more so hope ya dont need it
    FIX it NOW
    GO buy a new cable
    before it snaps at the worst possible time
    R

10. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Better yet, do preventive maintenance; install a new cable.

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    preventive maintenance

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. mdevlin

mdevlin Registered Member

about 2 years ago when I started my never ending blazer project I ended up doing something very close to the same. I stupidly disconnected the cable because I was planning on taking that whole front clip off, but decided not to and basically closed the hood. but.. since I had taken the engine out a couple days before, i still had my engine hoist hanging around, and I latched the chain right under the hood and very slowly pumped the hoist up just enough to get under the hood with a ratchet (and an extension so I was nowhere near the hood). The only damage from the whole process was a scape on the underside of the hood where the hook from the engine hoist dug in.

[ QUOTE ]
    i went through the very same thing with my 86 a few months back. take a wide sturdy piece of metal (i used 6"wide 1/4" thick plate) and place it between the hood and the core support by the latch. pry upward on it, but be careful not to kink the hood. once you get the hood bent up a little put a 13mm socket on the latch bolts, and remove the latch from the core support. open your hood, and release the latch manually. when you're all done gently tap the hood back to its original shape, fix your latch, and you're good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I didn't look at it yet on my truck but on my oldsmobile I locked the keys inside with the engine running so I had to pop the hood and kill the engine before something happened so I was able to reach the cable from under ( I am slim) but now I will check the truck to see if it's feasable the same way.
    But so far I haven't had any problem opening anything with a simple coat hanger or a flat piece of steel.
    Even the new 2000 Chevy and ford trucks, when people locked their car keys in.
    I will post up if I find an easy way.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've done doctor4x4s way, I think. Bent a piece of metal into an L shape and inserted it between the core support and hood and tripped the lever that the cable attaches to.

Or and easier way would be to sawzall the latch. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had this happen recently. I just pushed up on the hood and unbolted the latch from the core support. Strangely enough, it came right open.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had this happen recently. I just pushed up on the hood and unbolted the latch from the core support. Strangely enough, it came right open.