Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to paint a vehicle?????Body work?? Crash course?

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by hi pinion, Oct 27, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

There should be a big fat wright up on this. How to strip paint, how to body work, how to primer, and anything else invovled in painting a car/truck. If anyone has time to go into all this, like a crash course, would be great.Step 1 step 2 step 3 etc....All the steps, everything.I have alot of questions, for one,....=If you have a car/truck, and it has old paint on it, is it necesarry to get most of it off first?? Or can you rough it up, and primer, then paint right over it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Id like to see a write up.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I couldn't agree more. Things like spray guns, respirators, air compressors, line driers, etc. Also the different types of body fillers, primers, paints and where and when to use each and what results they give.
    I know there are a few professional painters on here, hope they have some time to do a lenghty write up and share their knowledge. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hehe, i should have saved my PM's i've written... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

the main concern over stripping or going over original paint is the amount of mils of paint you'll end up with.. thick paint will tend to chip, crack, craze, etc much easier..

the rule of thumb is, one paint job below yours will tend to be ok. in other words, factory paint, then your new primer/paint job will be ok. if its been painted before, strip it..

shoot me a Pm if you've got questions....

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I want it posted HERE .No links, and lamens terms only please. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no really, i want to learn to PAINT!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. big pappa b

Tough [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Too much info

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

How long does it take i wonder though? I mean,doing it the right way? Mabey renting a media blaster, or something ? would help?? Not everyone has 3500.00 for paint. I undrestand the prep work is critical, but i dont even know where to start. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. big pappa b

The prep work and the final wet sanding takes the longest. Painting doesn't take long other than waiting for the paint to flash (dry) between each coat. Obviously you want to spend as much time on the prep work. If it doesn't have a good base then it won't adhere good. If you read thru thse forums there is good info. I have a few good articles on my home computer (if the wife didn't delete them) I can send when I get back in 2 weeks

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool thanks bro, i still think there should be a post though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ill remind you in a couple weeks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just got a 86 k30...cheap..
    This gem...has potential..I'm going to restore it...
    It needs rockers...bed...doors....front clip...
    I have all the parts but a left fender...

I'll be getting started in about 2-3 weeks..

I'll post some pics...and get pretty detailed..
    I'll get some video too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jake,

A good write up could be done on what products to use etc.. but someone has to SHOW you how to do body work and laying on coats of paint. I am a decent painter and have done a dozen trailers and want to try painting my blazer myself too. I don't know how to do body work but after watching a few friends I don't think it could be explained in words. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think the easiest explanation (and Im still learning from Ryoken and others) is that "prep work" is a blanket prhase for make the car look as good as possible before the next step. Think about it like trying to building anything structural. Adding duct tape to a bad weld and then painting over it isnt going to look good, nor last a long time.

Start with the metal.Try to contour the metal to the original shape as much as possible. Whether you use a hammer, dent puller, replacement- doesnt matter, just you have to get as much base into the right shape. Remove any high spots, and bring up the low spots. The idea is that you want to use as little bondo (later) as possible.

I watched on those restoration shows, some guys dont even use bondo- THey can work the metal into perfection. They hammer, pry, lift, sand, scrape, until the metal is perfect. its beyond my skills, so I just try to get it as best I can, and then use a thin layer of bondo. After bondo, you want to sand the whole area until its perfectly flush, and smooth. A large block will help you in this process.

Then you want to clean the surface off, I've been told by these guys here that denatured alchol is great for removing any oils, and residue. After thats done, just primer.

Beyond the primer, Im still learning, so I havent gotten that far yet. My truck is just.. primered. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif