Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to paint firewall/engine compartment?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, Oct 30, 2003.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

How should I paint my engine compartment? It isn't running and I just got the new engine, and figured it would be easiest to paint and really clean up nice now. The problem is that it's kinda dirty, and in the garage. I would like to wash it off first but even then what should i do next? It has a combonation of blue paint, black undercoating, and greasyness. It's not too bad, so should I just paint over it or should I use some sort of primer to ensure that the paint sticks. I plan on doing black, probably. I already have a suction spray gun it's like astro something, seems okay.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well me cause its just such a pain, and figured may help soundproofin a bit, undercoated the firewall fully. Looks pretty good, hope i dont mar it up too much puttin in the new engine.

3. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

Any ideas? I know you guys have painted your engine compratment before

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

FIrst step is to remove everything you can, all of the parts that bolt to the fireall, inner fneders and core support. Degrease it with engine cleaner or Dawn and a scrub brush, or any number of products out there. 409 will work or even lacquer thinner in a Sure-Shot, which is what I use. once it's degreased give it another good cleaning to get any residue off, then scuff it with a red 3m scuff pad. Mask off anything you don't want painted and then paint with whatever color you want. It's not hard, it's all about making sure that everything is real clean before you paint.