Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to part out old truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spincast375, Aug 13, 2005.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

I have a 1990 C1500 with 285,000 miles that needs an engine and trans overhaul. I have an offer of $ 300. No junk / scrap yards in TN are interested. But I believe I could make more by parting it out. The city I live in is picky about 'eyesores', so I would have to do it quickly.

I have never parted out a vehicle before. Any suggestions? Anyone know of a Chevy pickup website similar to CK5?

I need the funds to buy more Blazer parts.

Thanks.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'd probably take the $300, depending on whats on it, the parting it out probably isn't going to yeild much more.
    My wifes old '94 spirit I parted out (200,000mi, blown tranny and cracked engine block (from the blown tranny)). Anyhow, they only way I was to make money is to try to sell any little part on there, from the defogger switch to the window regulators to the air bag. In the end, I only made a couple hunderd extra, and it was a major pain to box and ship all those parts and deal with all the eBay deadbeat bidders and such, and it took about 2 months till I was satisfied.
    Without eBay, it wouldn't have been possible to sell that many parts.
    Unless mabey if you have perfect non-dented, no rust body parts, then you might get something.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

could just pull it all first.

any thing you think has value, wireing dash Fi, windoe stuff, pile it all up and get rid of the rest, then sell it off as you go, city cant complane about that

4. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

What city do you live in? i've got more crap than an abandoned port-a-****ter and nobody has complained yet... take the $300 and run... parting is a real PIA and with a 2wd there's not many single things that have alot of value.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hard to believe...

I find it hard to believe no junk or scrap yards would want it!..scrap prices here are back up to 75 bucks a ton for cars and trucks!..I got 225 bucks for my 74K20 when I scrapped it,I pulled out the engine,transfer case,and many other parts before filling it with more scrap I had hanging around--it weighed 6200 lbs,only 20 lbs less than it weighed before stripping it!..

There isnt anyone buying junk in your area??...how about towing it to a scrapyard yourself??...if its that difficult to get rid of in TN,then maybe the 300 bucks you could get isn't such a bad deal...but I cant understand why they dont want it at a junkyard???..doesn't make sense!-up here,they will buy just about anything!.. there are even ads in the classifieds asking people to bring in ANY metal,like railings,sinks,tanks,even stuff they used to turn their noses up at!--:crazy: