Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to pass smog... got tips?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 9, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I need to pass smog like today! My tags are expired... I paid the fee but never got it smogged so I have no sticker... if I am gonna drive it to Hollister I think I need to smog it... what tips do you guys have? I found a place, smog only, and they are honest. They gain nothing if I fail since they can't do repairs... they passed my g-ma's car, which I thought for sure would fail.... anyhow, the guy loves Chevy's and is pretty cool.... but he can only help me out so much without getting his butt in trouble. So any tips? I am changing all the filters.... my exhaust should be done (new cat, muffler, pipes and headers) Wednesday so I can get smog on Thursday or Friday morning.... I'm also putting in a new o2 sensor, dist cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs..... someone mentioned I get some special fuel? What kind and where? Any other tips would be appreciated... I live in CA with the smog laws that are nuts.... I simply wanna pass not get some wonderful results... just pass! Thanks in advance...! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Highest octane possible! Drive around on it for an hour before the test.

Our smog laws are getting like yours, and a shop I know of theorized that wrapping the sniffer in a wet rag, aiming shop fans directly on the motor, and leaning the sniffer against the tailpipe output might make a non-passing vehicle pass. They tested the theory on a vehicle that failed repeatedly, and it passed with thier "theory"...
    I know a couple mechanic buddies with inspector licenses that said they wouldn't even put a truck with 33's on thier dyno, and it would just get the idle sniffer test. Some vehicles do better on the dyno than at idle though.

Sounds like you've done all you can to your truck, though, aside from timing adjustments and leaning it out...

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

3. NoFear

NoFear Registered Member

I love Texas! they dont sniff us! Basicly just honk the horn, check the blinkers, and let ya go! Maybe if you lean out the carb a little? I dont know if that will actually help any, but it's what my Grandpa does (he has a 78 chevy crewcab dually 454 down there in so.cal)

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I just had to take mine to a test only station.Normaly when you take your truck to get smogged the guy will stick it on the scope to see how it does and if it needs any minor tweaks he might do them or he might tell you its not gonna pass and it needs some work.This is called a pre test.At a test only station he can make no adjustments by law .He puts it on the dyno and if you fail you fail. If you fail too may times you will be labled a gross poluter and thats a whole different headache .And you pay him for that.My advise is is take it to a normal smog shop and get a pre test.After they say it passes then take it to the test only station.I didnt.I went to the test only stationand failed.I got a bill for $40 and a piece of paper that said I failed.I ended up taking it to another shop to find out why and $380 later it passed with them and then I took it back to the test only station and paid another $50 and it passed .Smogging sucks!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

5. FRIZZLEFRY

It doesnt matter what size tires you have here .By law its gotta go on the dyno.There 1 and 2 speed tests on the dyno.Light trucks get the 2 speed (6000lbs and under)and the low speed only for heavy duty (6001 and up). Its getting tuff to smog stuff in CA.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

definitely high octain, maybe try some fuel additive such as an octane booster. also, check your pcv and EGR to make sure they are working. and make sure the timing is set right.

Check out my 73 K5 http:// members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep I have a great tip,. Have a brother who is a smog tech. Mine passes smog with out every leaving my driveway.......LOL Drive it around for at least a hour. Keep it in 3rd gear. If you have to sit and wait for him. Go out and drive it around some more will you wait don't let it cool down.....Dan

8. ChevyCaGal

How come yours failed? I wanna know to see if maybe it's something I can prevent on mine.... [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Change the oil is good advice, though I didn't last time. Last time I did it, I had access to a smog machine for a few hours. Only problem I had was high idle, but it was still passing. Holes in the exhaust will mess up the numbers a little bit. Make sure it's no more than 4 degrees plus or minus base timing. Make sure you have all smog equip. on and hooked up. When I "pretested", I was running .45 on the plugs, open air cleaner. Changed the plugs back to .35 and the HC #s went down. When I tested, I put the stock air cleaner back on. Tester suggested new cat and TBI gasket, and got a new gas cap out of the deal. I took it to a shop my father-in-law recommended. I paid more, but I knew that the tester would be straight up with me. Also, if it's computer controlled, check for codes. Mine was throwing a 13 everyso often, so I just cleared it out to make sure it wouldn't show up.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

10. ChevyCaGal

Don't you mean our brother? [​IMG] [​IMG] Sheesh all this time he could pass me and I have been killing myself and now you tell me... some brother you are! See if I remember you this Christmas!!! [​IMG]

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

He's on about driving it around. You want to make sure the engine is warmed up, because when it's cold, you'll get more hydrocarbon (unburnt fuel) numbers. When it's warm, the HCs will burn off. Same thing with the oil, with old oil, more HCs will show up. One thing on carbs, make sure the carb is tuned good. This piece of cr*p Jeep I have wouldn't pass smog, so it's leaned out (great for mileage) so bad the darn thing runs-on when I kill it.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

12. gokartergo

Remember your the step child. Gotta treat you like a red headed step child.........LOL

13. ChevyCaGal

Are holes in the exhaust good or bad... the guy I was talking to at that shop said hey all that crap will blow out before it hits the sniffer... he smiled and said it really will! I wonder if he was messing with me... I know he wasn't a BS'er... he was swearing in front of my mom about stuff and having a huge conversation with her about everything... all the time puffing a cig and could have blew us all up! LOL... My mom said he was too "real" to be lying, and she is a great judge of people... and if he was lying he should win an oscar...but really.... my exhaust is like swiss cheese.... I am getting the new just for this reason, to pass.... wonder if I can keep my old though and do my new when I get home.... hmmm....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ChevyCaGal on 07/10/01 00:39 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. ChevyCaGal

Quit picking on me cuz I have redhair! I'm telling ya.... to the moon! [​IMG] But really, can I pay him to slip me by he he he.... I can't believe I wouldn't pass after all the time and money I am putting into it.... but who knows... pitty peas..... with sugar on top! [​IMG]

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

The oxygen content was a little high. I was lucky, not only did I have access to the smog machine, I also had access to just about the smartest mechanic on the planet at the time. I would run a test, then show him the numbers. He would start asking questions about my truck. High HC, what are the plugs gapped at? High oxygen, holes in the exhaust? It was great. The holes suck in clean air so it shoots back to the sniffer.

16. gokartergo

Just go by some place and ask them to do a pre test. You don't want to get a gross polluter on your truck. Usually pay like $20.00 for a pre test. If it passes then tell him you want the test and your all set. Don't go to a smog only station. The more gross polluters they put out the better they look in the states eyes. And you will have to go to a referee station and then have to go back to that referee the next time also......Dan

17. gokartergo

Sorry, didn't know you really had red hair oooppppppppssssssss

18. FRIZZLEFRY

It was running a hair too rich.The carb had to be rebuilt .I thought it ran great and the exhaust didnt stink but it wasnt good enough.

19. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I live in CA and just had mine smogged a few months ago. Would you believe they even checked the gas cap to see if it was the right type? I guess it was to see if it held pressure and didn't leak. What the F does a gas cap have to do with smog? What will they think of next to check for?

20. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hey, I've got the same deal. Last time I passed smog I didn't even bring the truck with me to the shop. heheh

That's because I'm the devil.