Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to prevent the chipping of spray paint??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I know some of you guys have spray painted your trucks... And if you haven't and know a way to help me out, please do.

I spray painted my grille a couple of weeks ago because it looks much better in black. However, after a trip to Colorado on Friday, I had a whole bunch of little chips where sand and wind knocked away some of the paint and you could see the ugly azzzzz chrome underneath. I re-sprayed it, but it's already starting to chip again...

Is there anything I can put on there to seal it and prevent it from getting all chipped up, or will I have to spend my Saturday mornings taking my grille apart and re-painting it?

I was planning to spray paint my entire truck, but I'm not sure anymore if It's going to mean repainting it every weekend...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you may half to scratch the chrome to make it stick.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

normally chrome doesn't take paint too well. scuff the chrome up with some fine sandpaper a little, then paint it.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You might try a Scotchbrite pad instead of sandpaper, it will conform to corner's, rounded edge's etc.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Surface prep

A paint job is only as good as the prep work.
    It should actually take you 3-4 times longer to prepare the surface than it does to actually paint it. I would scuff it up with a fine (not extra fine) sandpaper, clean the area with a liquid cleaner, let dry, and spray away.

A single (or few in number) thick coats will be more likely to chip then several thin coats (sanding with a very, very, fine paper and cleaning between coats). Most paints will give you the directions for best adhesion. It may sound stupid, but they have spent alot of $$ on research.

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

On my tie rod, drag link and shocks I had painted with a special blue paint but the paint would chip easy and be immune to chemicals on the road so I started to use this clear wheel paint which seams to pretty durable and doesn't chip as bad.

[​IMG]

Like the others said, prepping is the key.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm wanting to try the eastwood self etching primer myself. You remove the grease and dirt, and then you primer. Paint goes directly over it. If eastwood was not so expensive i would try several of there paints and tools (I guess price = Quality sometimes, but its just not in the budget).

8. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Thre is an anti-chip undercoating you can buy, It comes in a rattle can and is rather cheap. I can't think of the name of it right off, but we used to use it in the body shop I worked to coat rocker panels on cars. It makes the paint look a little wavey due to how it dries, but works great.